Heads up: if you liked Halo 5's gameplay, buy Doom 4. (Gaming)

by Funkmon @, Friday, May 13, 2016, 18:14 (2913 days ago)
edited by Funkmon, Friday, May 13, 2016, 18:25

Just throwing it out there. I don't want to spoil anything for the game, but it's really proper classic Doom brought to 2016. Where Doom 3 made an extremely modern game, looking to innovate, as id does, Doom 4 is not that.

I'm going to talk a little bit about the gameplay. Don't read this if you want to go in completely blank.

The game runs at 60 FPS on the Xbox. No idea what the resolution is, but it looks close enough to high def. There is some noticeable texture pop if you move too quickly and get too close to things, but I've only seen it twice.

Doom guy is on permanent run mode. You move stupid fast. It feels like Unreal Tournament fast. There's a clamber mechanic, just like Halo 5, and the punch attack is very satisfying, just like Halo 5. You can even do needlessly violent kills on the bad guys. And there's no gun zoom.

There's character progression, gun upgrades, all the modern stuff, but these upgrades basically just make the game faster paced and more fun. You can find more in the world if you explore.

The levels progress through people talking to you on the radio and at terminals, telling you where to go. You get nav points, and, unbelievably for Doom, a map. In a similar manner to the first game, you have to collect keys to open coloured doors, which is not terrible, and sometimes you have to kill all the demons to get doors to open. This is explained away by a funny message saying that the number of demons spawned is over the safety limit or something.

The soundtrack is totally intense. Some of you know I play games with my volume down so low I can barely hear anything. In the first few minutes, I turned the TV volume up because I heard the music. This stuff pumps you up. It's like dubstep with early nineties metal sensibilities. I seriously love the soundtrack while I'm playing the game.

Just letting you guys know it's good, and don't be freaked out that they didn't distribute review codes. It's why I rented it instead of buying it. That and I'm also poor.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread