I'm a doom fan, so don't listen to me. (Gaming)

by Funkmon @, Sunday, May 15, 2016, 18:40 (2911 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Funkmon, Sunday, May 15, 2016, 18:49

I loved Doom, I used to play tons of WADs and stuff. When Doom 3 came out, I was really excited and preordered it with my dishwashing money, but was too scared to finish playing it. I only just beat it with the help of Narcogen recently. After that, I just quit paying attention, and lost interest, because I couldn't handle the new game. Playing this game made me like it again, and now I would say I like it too much. For example, I caught myself being offended at anybody's negative comments about the game, thinking "these people just don't get it." Hallmark of fanboyism. So don't listen to me.

It's a 12 hour campaign mode, but you get upgrades and stuff while playing, and you unlock classic maps to play with the modern guns and enemies, so playing through a second time completely levelled up with is fun, since the fun of the game is based almost entirely on shooting bad guys. I did it to get some secrets.

Snapmap is limited right now, but the things people do with it are interesting. Jumping games, a cooperative music maker with drum synth, piano, cowbell, remakes of old Doom maps, cooperative new missions, etc. I imagine snapmap will get updates expanding its capability and we'll see entire new coop campaigns in it.

I don't do multiplayer unless it's with friends and nobody on my friends list bought the game, so I haven't opened it.

EDIT: in regards to too many games, in the past year I've basically only put any significant time into Fallout 4, Destiny, and this one. If you're having trouble keeping up with games, stop buying them. If, in 6 months, you still want Doom, then it'll be worth spending $35 on. But, most of the time in a situation like this, time will pass and you'll never really think about it again. Play the games you like the best, then when you've exhausted that game, play whatever strikes your fancy at the time of completion. There will always be more games and you're always going to miss one. For example, I still haven't played The Old Blood, that Wolfenstein expansion/game. Still haven't finished ROTTR. And you know what? When Mirror's Edge comes out and I rent that, I'm going to forget about Wolfenstein again. And then when something neat comes out in the fall, I'm going to forget about it again. And then, after a couple years, I'll never think about it and there is no void in my life.

For example, I bought Mass Effect a few years ago. I've literally never launched it, and I had to struggle to think of it. Don't worry about it, man. Just don't buy the game.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread