How to level for the raid (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 19:05 (2803 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Korny, Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 19:12

I was able to spend about 8 hours playing RoI over the course of the day.

You and Cody spent eight hours playing a game, and you complain that you've run out of content? This is really Destiny's biggest problem: people that have that "race to the finish" mentality, who blast through content in one sitting, then complain that they've got nothing new to do.

Destiny is a social game, one meant to be played with friends, or done in bits (the missions and challenges are pretty short). Eventually, once you're done with the story, quests, challenges, bounties, Strikes, and what have you, you're all geared up for a huge raid. Yay! Once you complete the Raid, you'll be ready for something like Iron Banner, or Trials, or really just playing with friends to help them get loot, or to tackle challenges together. Fun!

People that blast through content in a race to the finish line, then complain about the lack of content, really cause me to appreciate my Facepalm emote. And here's Cody talking about how to "Optimize leveling" so you can play as little of the game as possible, while always complaining about "not getting to enjoy his purchase"... There's a word for that, but I don't want to shatter anyone's safe space.

Sammy and I only played through the story missions yesterday, after which she got off and I helped Speedracer work on a couple of his quests (one that I haven't even started) before getting off myself. I'd say that I'm really enjoying the purchase. Heck, we spent half an hour trying to get Sammy up the side of the mountain, and Sammy's profanity-laden rage made RoI worth the price of admission on its own.

If you look at Metal Gear Solid 4, without cutscenes, there is only three hours or so of gameplay (should we count long, scripted slogs, or a 15-minute fight scene?). It's stupidly short, and it doesn't have a whole lot of replay value. And yet, people didn't cry about repetitive encounters, or a lack of content on a $60 purchase.

In that time I was able to complete all the new quests, bounties, and activities available to me. It's not a big deal, but this expansion does feel surprisingly light on content, and I went in with low expectations. But that's not really the part that I find disappointing.

For me, after only a brief time with all the new content, I didn't want to do any of it anymore.

And let me guess, you did these things alone? Heck, you hopped on and held Speedracer's hand to all of the Khvostov parts instead of letting him figure it out on his own (and I mean, I already knew more or less where they were thanks to a review post, but I didn't feel rushed to go get them right away).
Once you remove the exploration, the fun, the clues, the co-operative nature of everything... It's all just busy work to get to point B from point A with as little veering as possible.

And oddly enough, people like Cody do this, and yet they don't want anybody to even think about a Raid spoiler until they've gone through it themselves (after which, they sure are eager to spoil it for everyone else).

If you've blasted through all the content, that's great for you, I hope you feel like a winner in that non-existent race, but don't turn around and cry that gee, there's no more road left, and here's some tips to help everyone get to this finish line faster.

I guess I have similar preferences to Cody in terms of Destiny: for me, the Raid and Trials are the real draw to the game. I still have high hopes for both of those activities coming up. I just keep running into the issue I've talked about many times; the activities I really enjoy require a whole bunch of grinding to get to them, and I wish I enjoyed the grinding more, or alternatively, I wish the grinding wasn't necessary.

If you already know that you only like Raid and Trials, then you paid $30 for Raid and Trials. That's what you'll get, and so you have nothing to complain about, right? But if you feel entitled to having fun, then maybe you should see that sitting in front of the screen for eight hours makes you your own biggest problem.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread