Kermit's 7 Steps for Successful Fireteam Formation (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 11, 2017, 14:37 (2542 days ago) @ Korny

1. Play at the same time every week and show your online status.

2. Have real-life friends (preferably since childhood) or family members who play Destiny the same night and time that you do every week.

3. Be accepting. Use the fireteam builder without expectation. If people don't sign up it may or may not have anything to do with you. (See #5.) You also may have to play with the guy who treats chat as his night at the Improv, or Mr. Non-sequitur, or Joe Whinybutt. People are weird, but they’re playing with YOU, and you might not realize how irritating you are to them.

4. Be competent. One hopes this is less important, but it is without a doubt a factor if you are considered a liability to achieve the task at hand.

5. Avoid making passive-aggressive posts on the internet about how people on the internet don’t sign up for your events. It gives the impression that those people are onto something.

6. Be supportive and positive. Take an interest in people. They’re not just names filling your roster. Don’t begin every sentence with “I.” Pro tip: this works wonders in real life, too.

7. Follow step six and it inevitably leads to step seven, which is make real-life friends (or the equivalent) who want to play with you. They may forgive your failure to follow the other steps.

Disclaimer: I don’t call these Kermit’s steps because it’s what I do. Far from it, but I don’t need to tell that to most of you. (This post itself comes dangerously close to violating step five.) I’d like to have a more regular group on the Xbox, for instance, but it’s no one’s fault but mine if I don’t. I wrote these as reminders for me.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread