The Vault is just terrible. (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Monday, October 09, 2017, 10:35 (2414 days ago)

The vault is awful in a large number of ways. I'm going to enumerate each of them here:

Sorting

Can anyone tell me what "Default" sorting sorts by? It seems to be guns first, armor second, and mods last, but otherwise is completely random and reshuffles itself every time you put in or take out an item.

The other sorts are just as useless: "recent" - why? Who cares when I got an item. Old versions of Gun X are the same as new versions, with the only possible difference being power level. But I can't sort by power level! "Quantity" is beyond dumb because it sorts by the number of items in a stack, and not the number of actual items. So if I have, say, five versions of Gun X, they are all sorted as items where you only have 1 of them, and are randomly mixed with the other items I have, so I can't immediately tell that I have more versions of that gun. Awful. "Rarity" is equally stupid. I can easily tell what the rarity is by the graphics, and there's never been a situation where I thought, gee, I'd love all of my rare shaders to be mixed up with my rare weapons, but clearly distinct from the legendary versions.

What sorts would be useful?

Well, here's what I want from my sorts, and why I cycle through all available options (in vain) every time I open it:

- Sort alphabetically by name. This should be a no-brainer for every sortable list of things with names, ever. I need to find MIDA. I have seven pages of items. Sort by name, scroll to the M's... done. Plus I would immediately see that my sort revealed I actually have three MIDAs! WOW. Delete two. Done.

- Sort by class of item. Snipers, Pulse Rifles, hand cannons, etc... Group every weapon of the same class together. Again, this should be a no-brainer.

- Sort by power level. Why can't we do this? It seems like it would result in such a mish-mash of items that it would make whoever designed the current sorts really happy. But seriously, this should be an option.

- This last one is not, I think, a no-brainer, but I'd also like to flag items as "favorites" and then sort by favorites to get those favorites first, and everything else last.

And here's the real kicker - I'd love to be able to apply and and all of these shaders in the order of my choosing. Class first, then power, then name? Or favorites first, then class? Why not? We should be able to choose any number of properties of the items (show me only guns with dragonfly or outlaw, please) and have the vault sort them accordingly.

- Even less obvious, I'd love to be able to mark loadouts and just say "give me loadout A" and have all of my gear swapped in and out of the vault to match my selected loadout. Okay, this is getting a bit out-there. I know.

existing

But why does the vault even exist in the first place? Anyone who played Destiny 1 should know that Bungie makes wild changes to the meta on a bi-annual whim, resulting in huge power swings between guns. The result is that you save one of everything so that when the meta shifts, you can shift with it. And you what's better than saving one of everything in a giant disorganized vault that very likely has two of everything but you can't very well tell because the sorting options are terrible? Just keeping a list of items you've found and unlocking them as you find them so you can swap in and out with anything you've already found at your current max power level (why is power level even a thing in this game? I digress, that's a topic for another day). Seriously, we already have a kiosk for unlocked exotics. How hard would it be to make a kiosk for unlocked legendaries, too? The answer is: It wouldn't be. The vault shouldn't even exist in its current form, imo.

things it's missing

Checklists. Collecting stuff was my favorite part of D1, but the current vault only lists things you've found without listing any of the things you're missing. That's lame. Show me how many more exotics, emotes, and emblems there are, please!

Spaceships. Why can I not collect spaceships anymore? Looks like 27 will be the limit.

Shaders. Seriously there's no reason for these to be consumables. Just unlock them like the last game.

Sparrows. Same as spaceships. Silly.

---

summary

The TL;DR here is that the vault is awful and should be replaced with a glorified kiosk, sortable in a myriad of ways.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread