Harder to ignore (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 11:36 (2393 days ago) @ stabbim

To expand just a bit, we all probably agree that this system is yucky, but what if it was already in a game you've loved playing and had been for years? Just how mad can you really get it if had no effect that you noticed?

I get being outraged on principle, but at some point there's a bunch of things happening ever second, every millisecond, in our games that we don't individually know about. If you're matched with a player with good latency, a comparable skill level, proper power level, who past data shows will play well with or against you, and he was picked because he had a funny hat or a weapon skin that someone with equal values in all those criteria didn't have... and you are never told this is the case... how hurt were you, really?

I'd far rather video games go up to $70 or $80 or $90 base price to cover the increased cost of production than have microtransactions, but again, if you don’t know something is implemented, then just how bad can it be?

Yes, I'm playing a mix of a large amount of actual belief and a bit of devil's advocate here, but the sorta bigger issues of "is every single microtransaction related thing evil" also deserves to be addressed as well. Treating this additional layer of matchmaking as "objectively bad" or whatever is probably going a step to far.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread