RIP Kinect (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, October 25, 2017, 13:11 (2388 days ago) @ Kermit

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/25/16543192/kinect-discontinued-microsoft-announcement

Personally, I'm bummed. Always liked the Kinect and using voice commands.

[waves to NSA]

I wonder how things would have turned out if:

The path they took was definitely the worst of both worlds, and here we are, with the "essential" accessory that made the Xbone stand apart from the PS4 dead before the mid-gen console is even released.
It's weird to think that the Kinect had a strong (and arguably negative) impact on the state of Microsoft's gaming division, especially when you consider how hard they plugged it:

"Xbox One is Kinect. They are not separate systems. An Xbox One has chips, it has memory, it has Blu-ray, it has Kinect, it has a controller. These are all part of the platform ecosystem," -Phil Harrison ,MS Corporate VP

Personally, the Kinect (and the way MS latched features to it) was always dumb, and it surprises me that it took this long to die. Voice commands just seem really stupid to me when they replace one or two simple button presses... Maybe I'm just old.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread