Some knew this day was an eventuality, on day one. (Gaming)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, October 25, 2017, 14:36 (2387 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by INSANEdrive, Wednesday, October 25, 2017, 15:09

WELCOME TO (fuzzy recall) SECOND HAND WAR STORY THEATER!

TODAYS TOPIC: STARWARS KINECT!

A.K.A -[image]

Due to it being a small industry, I was able to talk to some of the Terminal Reality DEVS who made STARWARS KINECT. This is a few years old. and I'm pulling from recall. All in all, I reserve the right to be horribly wrong.

So after the successes of "Ghostbusters: The Video Game" (A.K.A - The ACTUAL Ghostbusters 3 Movie), the DEV Team was brought into a room, and told to be excited. They had no idea what the next project was going to be. When they found out it was to be a STARWARS Game, well... to say that the DEVS were hyped is an understatement. OMG They were going to make a Starwars game! Then came the other shoe, and it was revealed that this game was going to be a showcase for some upcoming technology for the Xbox. The KINECT.

As hyped as they were for being paid to make Starwars anything, the response for the KINECT was less then ideal.

Who in the hell is going to get off their couch, and flail their body around for any more then 10 minutes at a time. No one! It's a gimmick. Fun for a few, then that's it.

Kinect was a full body deal, aimed at gamers. It was never going to fly. It didn't matter HOW MUCH MONEY Microsoft pumped out to market otherwise. It was a cool idea, that doesn't work in practice for the marketed group. And we were making a game for that.

Then there were also stories of the Q & A Team. I'll let Kahzgul interject here. Imagine Kahzgul... you have to Q & A a KINECT game. Hours of Days of Months of Years of just moving, making sure every motion worked. Do you survive? Based on what I was told, that is also probably a factor in why there were so few KINECT games. I'd bet money on it, if I was up for that sort of thing.

The final tidbit I shall impart; The Devs knew that their STARWARS KINECT game (as was published) was shit. So they got together, and brain stormed ideas to make it better. They wanted to make it better. So they got a big presentation made, brought in the money, they pitched the idea, and needed 9 months.

The moneys response: Nope.

All Jaws hit the floor. Why?

This is Starwars, It's good enough. It will sell with the name alone.

In other words, the sooner they could get it out, the sooner they could make money.

TO say this destroyed morale of the whole studio is an understatement.

... and the rest is history.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread