+1 (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 12:54 (2370 days ago) @ ObsidianKitteh
edited by Korny, Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 13:09

Initially south park was just a "haha, my Mom doesn't want me to watch this so I will. they use harsh language and fart humor so this is great" then as I got older and started really understanding satire I gained a whole new appreciation for it. I love the fact that you can take south park at face value and just see a lude nasty program that would only appeal to teenage boys with dirty minds, but just about anyone I have forced to sit through a couple episodes gradually realize that its full of really smart humor and their analysis of pop culture and current events that is just so perfect. I managed to talk my wife into watching a few episodes and she was hooked almost immediately. every episode is usually followed up with a nice long conversation about the origins of the plot of that episode and its just great. They lost us a bit last season but so far this season has us hooked again so that's good.

I've always loved that South Park is a comedy show about bad kids in a world of dumb adults first and foremost, and a show bursting at the seams with social commentary second. It's crazy how well Matt and Trey have managed to continue doing it so well for so long, without ever getting too preachy about it, or compromising the heart of the show as irreverent entertainment. It's why South Park has remained relevant for 21 Seasons, and the Retarded™ Rick and Morty garbage is in a rut barely three seasons in.

My favorite episodes are Make Love, not Warcraft and Fishsticks.

I may be slightly biased, but Korn's Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery (or is that Ghost Pirate?) is an episode that I hold dear:

(Korn debuted the first single off their upcoming album in an episode of South Park, which is something that not a lot of bands get to say. Your move, Taylor Swift...)

Other than that, the Imaginationland special was great, and the Black Friday/Console Wars special was also top-tier entertainment, even if it was increasingly obvious that the writers weren't too familiar with Game of Thrones as the special went on. "Night of the Living Homeless" "Good Times With Weapons", and pretty much the entirety of Season 19 is pure gold.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread