Meh. (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 16:43 (2369 days ago) @ Korny

I’ve been pretty negative lately, it seems (sorry about that!), so I considered not replying, but I can’t resist in this case.

I refute the idea that South Park’s read on pop-culture is smart or accurate or insightful. It’s usually the sort of cynical “both sides suck” non-comittall stance that feels cheap.

"It points out the flaws in both sides of a position with a nobody-is-safe approach, which means it's not smart or accurate! Things can only be good when they have a strong bias!" -cheapLEY

Is it not possible that there can be stupid people on both sides of an argument? I love South Park for this very reason. Sure, it would be nice for them to pander to me and only mock everything that I disagree with, but wouldn't that be... cheap?

Grizzlei said it better than I did. It's only partly that they make fun of both sides, but more that they make fun of taking a stance at all. That's cynical, lazy, and honestly, in the current climate, dangerous. Advocating for disengaging completely under the guise of "both sides are idiots" is asinine, and I honestly can't stand it. It's much cheaper and intellectually dishonest than making a stand.

I won't say more, as this will tread dangerous close to politics, but in today's situation, I can't tolerate any "both sides" argument, and that's ultimately what South Park advocates.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread