My answers (Destiny)

by MartyTheElder, Sunday, December 03, 2017, 12:17 (2344 days ago) @ Coaxkez

Heh, this is starting to feel like the good ol' days. There used to be a group where I answered questions long before reddit.

1) Was it always the plan to use snippets taken directly from Music of the Spheres in Destiny 1, or was your intention instead to compose wholly original pieces based on the themes and motifs established in MotS?

The plan was to compose a suite of music that would be a stand alone listening experience. It would reflect the universe, lore, and emotions of Destiny. My intent was to arrange and compose new adaptive music to use in the game that was based on that music. Of course if there were places in the game where the original recordings could work that would be acceptable - and some of that had already been implemented by the time I left. What I really objected to was the piecemeal use of the recordings in some marketing material that happened long after we had agreed to release the full version to the fans. The original intention was to have Music of the Spheres released and then use some of those themes in marketing, pr, and the game. That never happened. However, it did happen with Golem - you can get Echoes of the First Dreamer right now!

2) Is there any possibility of you working with Paul McCartney again? You could seriously just do an album with him separate from any associated game project & it would be fantastic. You could do a symphony or a collection of songs based around a particular theme, i.e. summer, winter, forest, desert, etc... I think we would all pay to hear something like that.

Boy I would love that! I think that is a remote possibility. I got a call from Paul shorty after I was fired. He spoke fondly of our working relationship - but I got the impression that he really didn't like how he was treated in the game industry.

3) Have you been keeping up with Bungie's musical output since your departure? I'm not going to ask you to evaluate its quality - I'm honestly just curious if you keep up with it.

No.

4) What was the original ending to Halo 2? :)

Now you've gone too far. Plus, I think I answered this somewhere else.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread