It's pretty easy (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, March 05, 2018, 15:45 (2252 days ago) @ Cody Miller

With everything now becoming on-demand with live updates and content, the business model will transition to subscriptions and limited time access. I think the era of "buying" a game is coming to an end.

As much as I prefer your method, it probably won't be around much longer.

I don't think so. 2017 taught us that great single player games are still in demand.

On the flip side, Xbox, which has zero great single player games, has been seeing an increase in sales thanks to a number of its subscription services, and access to an extensive backlog.
PUBG is a shallow multiplayer-only game, that barely succeeds at hitting 30FPS on the "GLAWRIOUS" XBone X, and runs like poo on the Xbone. And it's a smash hit on the console. Sea of Thieves will find success on the subscription service, and I can guarantee that Halo 6 will sell far more in microtransactions than it does in retail sales.

So yes, great single player games have sold extremely well; Horizon Zero Dawn sold 7.6 million copies its first year, and even Nier: Automata outsold Battlefront 2 (let that sink in), but they are by no means the future.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread