counterpoint (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 07, 2018, 17:31 (2250 days ago) @ Harmanimus
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, March 07, 2018, 17:42

Yes. But you are making the argument originally from the point of the “art” and identifying inclusively forms of content. Especially in reference to other art (movies have Director’s Cuts and Special Editions; Albums have varied international releases or alternate versions of songs/cuts based on format [vinyl v. CD]; books have different edits based on release date/format/publisher, etc.) that somehow video games are uniquely experienced while other forms are uniformly experienced which is entirely untrue.

I don’t agree that you can have it both ways because that is how it suits you. A fair judgement requires consideration and often many parts of the end package are not inherently part of the core experience or artistic expression. So unless you can identify a rational clear line, I think you are just being arbitrary so long as it supports your point.

Each variation of a film or a song is a separate work of art. This makes sense for say, two versions of a film, where one lifts the impositions from a studio for example. Moreover, and this is the key part, each one is carefully curated.

A movie may be cut for television, but even in that case you have an editor working for the network who is making the decisions, thus the curation is intact.

The insanely huge number of permutations that microtransactions create do not fall under this, because a human did not personally curate each one. If there are ten items / modes / whatever for sale, then there are 2^10 combinations, and thus 1024 different works of art. Moreover, it is not the creator that chooses this: it is the viewer.

I think I did the math right?

Given this, it is quite correct to say that games are more uniquely experienced than other art.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread