Is it really that ambigious? (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, September 13, 2018, 14:40 (2055 days ago) @ cheapLEY

During one of the Dead Space ViDocs, the devs talked about how, if you don't take control from the player's hands, they can miss around 20-40% of scripted moments. One of the keys to preventing this is framing:
Want them to be looking in a certain direction? Have them moving towards it, or guide their eyes or ears towards the direction before you hit them with the moment.

Because the Baron appearance happens in a wide open area, while you've got enemies on every side, and you can approach the ridge from any direction, it's very poorly framed.

That's not true, though. I literally just finished that quest on my second character, I have no idea how you missed it. They spawn immediately after you walk out of the cave, and unless you turned to look at the cave wall as you exited, you'd have to be staring right at them.

I suppose it's possible that you could turn immediately after exiting the cave and not be close enough to trigger them spawning, but you'd have to be ignoring the nav marker on you HUD, and you'd have to turn really quick. They spawned in three steps outside the cave.

Bungie did everything possible to do exactly what you described, save for literally taking control from players and just having it be a cutscene.

When you go through the second door (after the rock wall disappears), you can either drop down into the cave, or go to the right, which has you right below the ridge (at an angle that makes it impossible to see). Maybe I triggered them too soon.

Also, IIRC, the cave exit doesn’t quite point towards the ridge, but towards the door where you meet up with Spider’s minions, which is the direction Sammy went. Plus, you’re in the middle of a fight with Scorn, so many players will be distracted with that. The first time, I didn’t even hear Ghost say “there, on the ridge”.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread