I tried the new PVP mode (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 11:11 (2058 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm finding Gambit more and more frustrating, and it's situations like this that add to that.

Last night, the other team beat us to a primeval, but not by much. We had 74 motes, and a guy holding 8 - he refused to bank until he hit 10. He got killed by an invader as he was picking up those last two motes, and we ended up losing. JUST BANK THE DAMN MOTES.

I was hoping it wouldn’t end up like this, but Gambit has become an activity I can’t really stomach solo. Just having one other person to coordinate with helps a whole lot. Running with a full team last night for a few hours was incredibly fun, even when we lost. When I lose and I’m playing solo, it becomes more frustrating. At least when I lose because our team of randos were on completely different wavelengths. Sometimes it clicks and we still lose, and that’s fine, but the matches were I’m internally yelling at the idiot to just bank his damn motes already really wear me down.

I was trying to explain this to people the other night; I'm not sure I can.

Playing solo, as you say, is super-frustrating (in a way that playing Crucible has never been, for me).

Playing with a group, though, is just as bad, in totally different ways. I'm not an incompetent player; I do okay at most things... but in Gambit, I always feel useless. I rarely get to pick up many motes (unless my team has made me the mote-picker-upper, specifically, and even then I'm less effective than pretty much anyone else), and even when I'm NOT picking up motes, I'm usually DFL on enemy kills. Occasionally, I'm having a decent night, and I can do okay against enemy players (both in our zone and after I invade), but often I'm a little off, and I get killed 100% of the time (when I'm off, it's WAY worse than any other PvP mode). Winning or losing, it just feels bad; I'm either not helping on the win at all, or I'm the cause of the loss.

I might be done with Gambit except for the occasional Daily Challenge (for the powerful engram). Which makes me really sad. :(

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread