Halo Infinite Campaign (Trailer?) (Gaming)

by EffortlessFury @, Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 11:51 (920 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I think it looks fine. The most recent flight sold me in the gameplay. They nailed it.

I’m more hesitant about the open world aspect of the campaign. I’m totally here for Far Cry Halo, but what I saw in that overview didn’t sell me on it. Open world games have always had the issue of actually filling the world with fun things to do, and with pacing those things. That trailer made it look like there were big stretches of nothing. I keep thinking about the open sections of Gears 5, which were bad. They served nothing, and I hope this doesn’t make the same mistake. This isn’t The Witcher 3 or Red Dead Redemption 2, where one could just sort of luxuriate in inhabiting such a detailed, immersive world. If the open world is just big for the sake of it, where we end up driving a Warthog for three minutes to the next thing, I don’t think that’s very good. I hope it’s not that, but that’s honestly the impression I got from that video.

That's very much a "balance" thing where if they hit the sweet spot it'll be pretty awesome. I for one hope it's a pretty big space but not massive.

I'd like there to be pockets of calm that allow the game to breath that make the ring feel like a location instead of a stage. It reminds me.... ok I'm having a terrible time finding a solid source/interview where Hayao Miyazaki talks about injecting moments of calm in his films to, ok I found it (@movierdo - I'm not familiar with the site, so take with a grain of salt)

“We have a word for that in Japanese. It’s called ma. Emptiness. It’s there intentionally… if you just have non-stop action with no breathing space at all, it’s just busy-ness. but if you take a moment, then the tension building in the film can grow into a wider dimension.”

So I'd counter "big for the sake of it" with "big for the sake of pacing". Of course it could end up being too big, but I hope not.

Honestly I thought Assassin's creed valhalla struck a very good balance between the two. And if it's the same realm as that then I'm perfectly okay with it. Of course that game came off the previous Assassin's Creed which was waaaaay too big so maybe it was recovering from AC PTSD. I also wonder if and how they do checkpoints/teleporting points to move around the map if it's really that big.

You can see a "Fast Travel not enabled" message on the map. So there'll be some form of teleportation.

You might get dropped off by a Pelican into the area you're fast travelling to. That sounds neat.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread