The Same River. (Gaming)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, October 28, 2021, 08:35 (918 days ago) @ Cody Miller

“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.”― Heraclitus

This is the problem Halo faces today. It's impossible to capture and recreate that feeling and experience of playing the originals when you did. It's a folly to try. Why is Seinfeld unfunny? The same reason Halo has nowhere to go on its current course.

How apt. There is no going back, indeed, and it would be foolish to gauge on recapturing the particularly temporal recipe of nostalgia. Thus, I should make mention that nostalgia is not my gauge. This is how, of what you say, I can disagree to a point. It is not impossible.

OG Halo is simple. Yes, things were added upon as ever is apparently required in a sequel, but a core aspect of Halo in those Bungie days stayed by and large true throughout. It might not be the same river, but the river at least should still be wet to be called a river at all. It really is that simple.

I want to see if 343 knows what that "simplicity" is (yet). If they can, if they have understood-actually understand what makes Halo it's own thing, even in a SEA of shooters made possible BY Halo, then I'm in. Hint: it's not the control scheme. While very important, I'd say what Bungie has done with Destiny control wise is the next push, much like Halo was in its day. But even Destiny doesn't have this "simplicity" that Bungies Halos have, much to my disappointment.

This is also why I'm not saying what that "X Factor" is, despite my want to say otherwise. There is a hint I could give right now that to me is SO felicitous, directly for you Cody, BUT I say too much already. Sorry for the buzzkill.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread