Probably no TWID today (Destiny)

by Coaxkez, Thursday, November 02, 2023, 15:26 (177 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Coaxkez, Thursday, November 02, 2023, 15:41

They definitely had to say something, but of course, what do you even say in a situation as dire as this? I certainly don’t know. I’m not a communications expert. Perhaps it would have been appropriate to include a greater acknowledgement of management’s role in dropping the ball and bringing us into this situation — but then again, I’m not naive enough to believe that Parsons or anyone else in the C-suite would ever sign off on admitting such a thing publicly.

Ultimately, the one and only thing they can do to truly fix this mess is to deliver a world-class finale to The Light and Darkness Saga and then maintain momentum with strong continued post-saga support. Bungie will be relying on the sustained financial success of Destiny 2 in order to complete development of both Marathon and Matter, so they cannot afford to take their eyes off the ball now. It may even require an “all-hands-on-deck” crunch a la Halo 1, Halo 2, Destiny 1, or Destiny 2; as much as Bungie has talked about wanting to move beyond “crunch culture”, inflection points like these really demand their full attention as a studio.

Oh, one other thing, and this is directed at management specifically: If you're not going to take accountability for your own failure to lead, but you are going to acknowledge losing player trust, then at least have the decency to admit that you laid these people off by choice. They didn't just "part ways". You forced them to leave. Perhaps you would not have lost so much player trust if you had any respect at all for player intelligence.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread