I don’t disagree with your reasoning. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, November 05, 2023, 09:14 (174 days ago) @ Cody Miller

No, but, “I grew Bungie to the point where it was bought for $4 Billion” probably still does.

But what does the future hold? What did they give up to get there? I'm going to call it and say Bungie never again has a game that's as big a hit as Halo, or even Destiny. They might manage to do okay financially, but it won't be on that level. But more importantly: I just don't see them making anything as interesting, creative, or groundbreaking moving forward. What good is a 4 billion dollar sale for the people playing if they aren't going to get videogame art?

Do you think the Bungie of today is capable of something like Dark Souls? Nier Automata? Death Stranding? Disco Elysium? FF7 Remake? Tears of the Kingdom? Baldur's Gate 3?

When Bungie got bought in 2000, I wrote them off but came back when I saw what they made. This time, I don't foresee that happening.

I don't disagree with that. I'm saying it doesn't matter to the people at the top who got the 4 billion dollars. They won, whatever happens now is irrelevant. The goal of leadership of Bungie isn't to make good video games, it's to make as much money as possible. They already got 4 billion, anything that keeps coming is just gravy. Sony really got ripped off.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread