I don’t disagree with your reasoning. (Destiny)

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Sunday, November 05, 2023, 05:49 (175 days ago) @ Coaxkez

Sadly, it just doesn’t work that way. The C-suite never slashes their own cut by choice. Unless you’re looking at Nintendo, it’s never happened in this industry to my knowledge.

Japan has their own culture around executive responsibility where failures are treated... harshly. And that's really the only way to support such a system: overwhelming cultural forces ingrained in everyone since birth. You could write an employment agreement for a C-suite position in Bellevue which says "if sales are disappointing, you will commit seppuku," but your pool of candidates will be quite small.

You can still get your karmic justice without giving the C-suite a phony 10% haircut by trusting that their resume now has a black mark. "I was Chief X Officer at Bungie during a disastrous period when we grossly underperformed and had to lay off vast swaths of our workforce, torching goodwill among our fans and garnering weeks of humiliating press coverage" doesn't exactly sparkle.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread