I don’t disagree with your reasoning. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 06, 2023, 05:43 (173 days ago) @ Cody Miller

No, but, “I grew Bungie to the point where it was bought for $4 Billion” probably still does.

But what does the future hold? What did they give up to get there? I'm going to call it and say Bungie never again has a game that's as big a hit as Halo, or even Destiny.

On paper you might be proved wrong, but otherwise, this is a bit like saying there won't be another band like the Beatles, and that is correct--they're can't be, because that point in history will never be again.

They might manage to do okay financially, but it won't be on that level. But more importantly: I just don't see them making anything as interesting, creative, or groundbreaking moving forward. What good is a 4 billion dollar sale for the people playing if they aren't going to get videogame art?

Maybe. I think we've been in an age of refinement for a very long time. AI will probably be behind the next big leap, and I think, at this point, predicting the source for that is like picking out the next great singer out of the maternity ward.

Do you think the Bungie of today is capable of something like Dark Souls? Nier Automata? Death Stranding? Disco Elysium? FF7 Remake? Tears of the Kingdom? Baldur's Gate 3?

Could the makers of those games create Destiny or Destiny 2? Those games are likely better games on the video game art scale. On the other head, for game feel? For visual and aural design? Bungie still reigns supreme to me, but I say that not having played (or finished) those games.

When Bungie got bought in 2000, I wrote them off but came back when I saw what they made. This time, I don't foresee that happening.

I bet you'll at least come back to criticize those who come back. :-)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread