Some thoughts. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, November 09, 2023, 10:03 (170 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I’ve been trying to figure out a response without sounding like an asshole, but maybe I just am, so I can’t.

I don’t want to downplay the effort and passion that undoubtedly went in to making the grimoire books a reality. I’m sure it wasn’t easy, and they’re beautiful books (or at least the first one is—it’s the only one I bought).

But I see a world of difference in packaging already existing stories from the game and making a collection of original comics from renowned artists. Like, packaging the lore books into actual books just seems like an obvious thing to do. Maybe this makes me look totally silly and callous, but the Grimoire books feel more like merchandise, whereas the graphic novel feels like art. That is a highly reductive and unfair of me, and I don’t actually think the Grimoire books aren’t art. But one feels like a business play, and one feels like a passion project. Again, I know that’s unfair, and maybe it’s just my nostalgia talking, but everything modern Bungie does feels like a business decision instead of someone asking “what’s the coolest thing we could do here?”

Maybe I’m just too jaded now and that’s the only difference, and I absolutely will not discount that possibility.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread