Sad Indeed (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, December 06, 2023, 12:14 (143 days ago) @ Coaxkez

Things are obviously horrible for Bungie right now. I don't see how you can hand-wave that away with bothsidesism. We talk about it because we care.

Look, the layoffs were bad news, indisputably. Where is my bothsidesism? The fact that I don't claim to know everything? I can speak with more authority to the example I gave about my company--I do believe both appraisals are wrong and the truth is very complicated. (And honestly, I hate the way "bothsidesism" is used dismiss nuance in a world where seemingly every effing issue is between the self-righteous good and self-evident evil, and you gotta choose. No one has the humility to admit blind spots. Not on the internet anyway.)

I haven't played Destiny since Beyond Light. Why? Because I got tired of the MTX squeeze and the "minimum viable product" decisions impacting project scope and the in-game economy. Does that make me a "bad fan"?

Of course not, no more than I'm a fool for continuing to play (and liking it).

Does it mean that my voice holds less weight than yours?

No, but we may have different perspectives, and for better or worse, I speculated about how we all tend to operate, which is we seek to confirm our biases and justify our choices. In my case, Bungie's content has been the main course of my gaming diet since 1994, and I've seen some stuff. The great betrayal of '96, the fiasco of '97, the second great betrayal of 2000--the list is long, and I've heard a good bit of dirty laundry along the way. I know a much of it is true, and that's bad.

And yet... do you know what's obviously not horrible for Bungie right now? A lot of people had a great time playing their game in the last week, including some people here. That affects what I think about articles such as these, and my degree of hope. How could it not?

Dude, I want Bungie to pull through and find their way back to excellence.

Good. [fist bump]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread