Interesting. (Destiny)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, December 07, 2023, 08:09 (143 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

The difference? Community content.

My grumpy old man soap box says that we've become a society of "I want everything, now, for free, and it has to be awesome." And if it doesn't check all those boxes, 5% of people go online and rage against it, then that's viewed as "everyone hates it"

Halo was different because there was no reward to earn. The reward was, playing it and having fun. Whether it's matchmaking or customs with friends. Then they added ranks, and you had a little number by your name. With that, a little bit of fun died and sweat began to form. The chase of seeing that number go up consumed us.

Fast forward to now and how often do you play a game just for the fun of it. And I'm genuinely asking that question! The games I play, I have fun playing them but the thing I'm playing for is "to unlock this mod" or "to complete this challenge". It's the chase of that gratification.

And if we aren't constantly being served a gratifying moment, well it's hot garbage on fire and there's no other option.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread