“Brace for impact!” (Fan Creations)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, March 26, 2024, 10:02 (32 days ago) @ breitzen

this isn't The Last of Us

Well, until it tried to be... Oi.

I thought the second season showed some promise early on, but then it felt like the show lost its rudder in the second half and did a tail-spin into the dirt. I finished it last night and was supremely disappointed.

The show feels as though some archaeologist who moonlights as a fanfic writer uncovered a portion of the Halo lore from ancient ruins and tried to piece together what they thought the story might be. It's just... all wrong. In so many ways. And sometimes offensively so to anyone who cares for the source material.

The TLDR for me is: I don't think anything in the show was done better than it was in the existing material, and generally, it's objectively worse across the board. I get that the show creators want to pave some new ground so that there's some "freshness" to the story, but if you're going to do that, those changes should be improvements, not change for the sake of change, and they completely failed to do that. This feels like just another step in the absolutely lackluster and tone-deaf Microsoft/343 stewardship of the Halo franchise. And it makes me sad because the source material is just so. damn. good.

I'll follow breitzen's lead and do a pro/con, I guess (in no particular order):

Pros:

Cons:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread