Multiplayer (Off-Topic)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 10:37 (3748 days ago) @ Cody Miller

More difficult than speedrunning, more fun, and doesn't get stale.

git gud

You're treading into territory that I'm now starting to explore, but the bottom line is that I think on a theoretical / philisophical level, e-sports are vastly inferior to real sports, and even are inferior to the single player experience. As in, the 'art' of the video game is compromised in competitive multiplayer. Please don't ask for an explanation just yet, I'm still working it out, but you can probably catch a glimpse of why in that post.

Totally. And even if you don't like the competition in real sports, it's at least getting you in shape, mentally and physically. E-sports skills have very little applications outside the game.

I wandered into competitive Halo 2 for a year back in high school and wandered back out. I was 'improving' something I suppose, but I wasn't enjoying it, and it seemed the only thing improving was a skill that had no meaningful uses outside itself. I still love multiplayer - but it requires friends or other similarly-minded players to be fun. Winning is a always nice bonus, though. :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread