This is the worst thread. (Off-Topic)

by HawaiianPig, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 22:22 (3748 days ago) @ Schooly D

So... I entirely agree with Schooly D and entirely disagree with Cody Miller.

What happened to all of you?

Cody actually initially wrote the precursor to this OP after a discussion in IRC. It was a treatise on why speedrunning is objectively bad. I vomited.

Schooly nailed the core of the argument; it applies to what I read before and what he's posted now:

You've become burned out on playing single-player in the manner you used to, and you trace the cause to be the fault of "games."

Cody is tired of speedrunning and has now decided to take this opinion and translate it into an objective reality of gaming.

There's a whole lot of measuring enjoyment in this thread that just makes no sense. Let's look at two of them.

"Real sports is better than esports"

This requires deciding, arbitrarily, that physical exertion is of paramount importance. By this logic, all competitions that do not involve physical exertion are useless. Let's all throw entire swaths of human competition out of the window.

"Speedrunning kills games aesthetically"

This requires deciding, arbitrarily, that aesthetics and immersion is of paramount importance. Or to use a deceptive analogy, that "seeing new mountains and views" is important.

This means that those who enjoy optimization and mastery of something are just doing it wrong. Get out there you loser. Stop mastering one thing and go enjoy the view. What you're doing "doesn't matter"!

This is placing "immersion" and "mastery" on a scale and deciding one outweighs the other.

There's a whole lot of scale placing going on in this thread and it's utterly useless. You should all stop debating things in forum threads and go look out a window. The view is better. Something something mountains. *vomit*

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread