Isn't it great that there are other things to do in life? (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 12, 2015, 10:31 (3397 days ago) @ Kermit

Here's a newsflash: The game isn't going to fundamentally change. And I guess you've got ~10 years to remind us of its crappy core.

And THAT'S the shame. They have committed to a ten year plan, where our characters and all that move from game to game, all before the first release. With a normal sequel, you can shun what doesn't work and fix your shit, but not with Destiny. It feels like Bungie is already committed, which sucks because they committed even before they knew it was good.

Hell, they committed when I KNEW it was bad. And If I could tell, without having played a second of the game, then surely someone at Bungie thought "Gee, making your level progression depend on RNG is not such a good idea. Gee, making people play the same shit over and over isn't such a good idea. Gee, maybe just having slayer gametypes is not such a good idea. Gee, maybe making people re-level their exotics is not such a good idea. Gee, maybe our story is shit. Gee, maybe we are wasting tons of money and talented voice actors by making them NPCs nobody listens to and not actual characters."

"Gee, maybe despite that we should still commit to ten years of this anyway". Fuck that. Each sequel needs to be a clean break to fix what doesn't work. MMO Destiny doesn't work. RPG Destiny would be fantastic. I can only imagine the feeling of having this wonderful story you had planned turn out like shit, but then be unable to fix that because you signed a ten year deal and every game has to be the same.

Bungie has made some bad decisions, and I want them to feel bad. Despite your wonderful artists, musicians, programers, and great game feel, Destiny fucking sucks. It fucking sucks because you didn't do the most basic work of not including bullshit in your game. You don't have my respect as developers anymore because you don't respect the player or their time. In fact it's WORSE because there's so much good in there, but you didn't bring that out properly.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread