High damage itself isn't the problem (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, February 09, 2015, 11:17 (3372 days ago) @ RC

It's not true that high damage is a problem in itself. Unavoiable high damage is a problem.
Contrast to Halo LASO:

• Hunters' weak point was in their back

I loved Shotguns in Halo because nothing was more enjoyable than dancing with a hunter. You just can't do that in Destiny. And it's because, as you mentioned, it's not the high damage, it's the unavoidable damage. If you got hit by a hunter, you were dead, but at least you could dodge it.

Despite some reports to the contrary, the AI in Destiny IS NOT dumb: I remember in one mission, standing on some pillars, and watching the Hive Thralls scatter out of view. They understand line of sight! That's SMART! I had to come down and engage them on their level.

I agree, they are smart, but there are some cases where the AI could be better, for example, the phalanx's are aptly named, yet they never actually create a phalanx formation, how hard would it be to kill them if they actually did? I mean, if you don't count a rocket launcher.

More bait-able Enemies - If I could get a Hive Knight to follow me, to separate them from enemies, at a close distance, that'd make shotgunning more viable. The health-regen-shield is practically begging for all-damage-done-at-once kills, but it's hard to go in close because they have back-up.
Weak-points on sides and backs - So you do a wicked side-step of that Cabal Phalanx, you're behind them, and now their head is away from you - ugh, reduced damage! A weaker area on their back would help.

This can done with the vex by taking their head off, because then they rage and charge you, so you can just take a shotgun to them. However in some cases that actually doesn't help.

More interesting shotguns/perks - Compared to Game Breaker and Infinite Hammer, everything shotgun-wise totally sucks. How about shogtuns with:
Punch Action - When equipped, melee kills have a chance to generate ammo to your reserve/directly to the magazine.
Stick/Fist Combo - Damage from this weapon temporarily increases the target's susceptibility to melee attacks (an obvious synergy, surely?)
Bunny-Shotter - This weapon reloads faster while you are airborne (imagine taking out a few Thrall, then jumping over them and reloading. I think it'd be funny :)
Backshot Shells - Does extra damage when firing into the back of an opponent

I totally agree with this. Most other weapon perks change the play style of the weapon at least a little bit, but for me shotguns have always been a:

Overall I think that they did good with upping the damage of shotguns. It was needed. But it still doesn't solve the overall problem with using a shotgun in PvE

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread