I like this idea (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, March 31, 2015, 23:09 (3332 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I recall an interview with Bungie's AI lead for Halo 3 on the Bungie Podcast-

He said that while they did tweak numbers like Fire-rate, damage, and health, there really wasn't a big difference for in AI between any of Halo's difficulties. It was the fact that they were living longer and and therefore had more time to make and execute decisions.

That being said, I've definitely noticed some weirdness for Destiny's AI. it flip-flops between being defensive and offensive on a dime, over and over again. Anyone who's ever tried to bait out a sword-bearer or gate-keeper knows what I'm talking about.

I think I'm more complaining about Destiny's AI in general (grumpy face). I don't remember that interview but that's fascinating; I always felt like elites reacted faster on Legendary, but damn, I guess they just didn't go down so easy.

Some of the halo AI changes simply had to do with the enemies having more grenades at higher difficulties. Also, the elites being able to effectively charge you (because you couldn't just blast em in the face due to higher shields) changed how you as a player had to respond to their AI.

Even so, I find the halo AI dramatically more compelling than the Destiny AI. Destiny doesn't feel like AI at all, so much as a series of scripts. Also, every creature in Halo had different AI. In destiny, I feel like the Dregs, Vandals and Acolytes all have identical AI. Other critters are dang similar. Also, the proper method of engagement to virtually every enemy in Destiny is "shoot it in the face (or bird poop canister if it's a vex humanoid)." There's no need for adaptive or varied tactics.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread