You know what would have been badass for multiplayer? (Destiny)

by Fuertisimo, Thursday, April 16, 2015, 01:04 (3317 days ago)

Rather than bringing guns in with you, it would have been cooler if the maps had gun pickups like most shooters do, but instead of a standard array of weapons (ie like Halo, where there's pistol/smg/DMR/Battle Rifle/Carbine/Sniper/etc. etc. etc. shit Halo has a nice sandbox of guns) the weapons on the map were completely map dependent and composed of weapons from the single player game.

This would grant the designers incredible flexibility in what they wanted to let you have on a particular map in so many ways.

For instance, on one map you could spawn with a Duke mk. 10, another map you could spawn with a Trax Callum.

Another example would be one map might have SUROS Regime and Thorn on it, another map might have Thunderlord and Hawkmoon on it.

And everything in between. Pick from the legendaries, rares, uncommons, etc. At the map designers whim. Whatever they think would work best on that map, and in those weapon locations.

This, to my mind would serve several purposes.

First, this would solve a great deal of balancing issues. Rather than trying to balance however many guns there are in the game all against each other, you only have to worry about the guns on the map, and whether they feel balanced on that map in that instance.

Second, it would solve the problem of "I don't have overpowered gun of the month X, therefore I am inherently at a disadvantage in multiplayer". This seems self evident.

Third, I think it's much more interesting to have a wider variety of guns available to use during a game, rather than being limited to the three you come in with.

Fourth, it adds another layer of complexity to map design and to the combat flow in general.

Fifth, it would give players who haven't been fortunate enough to get X weapon to drop despite running VoG 47 times the opportunity to use X weapon.

Lastly, which weapons and their locations could be swapped out and changed to accommodate new gear added to the game, or just to change the way a map is played for varieties sake. This would increase replayability.

The downside to this is that I notice some people are really addicted to a particular weapon or type of weapon, and who knows how they would handle that.

Now I know Bungie would not do that/will not do that for future iterations of the game because if they did it might reduce the incentive players have to repeat-play some of the solo content in hopes of getting weapon X that's really good in multiplayer right now, but I honestly think if they worked it that way it would make multiplayer far more interesting and fun.

Bonus seventh reason (because there needs to be seven of everything), Working the weapons that way would have made it much easier to implement vehicles into multiplayer, which would have further diversified the sandbox and allowed for some much bigger and elaborate maps. (big team Destiny anyone?)

As always, just one mans opinion, but I really think this would have made the multiplayer much more fun.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread