So back to all shooter design prior to COD MW1? (Destiny)

by Durandal, Thursday, April 16, 2015, 09:35 (3316 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

This is essentially what Halo 1/2 and all shooters prior to Counterstrike/COD MW1 were like. I'm not a fan. I really like being able to configure my character with the weapons and perks I want and then not having to fight some idiot for a sniper rifle or shotgun.

In Halo I got very good at the basic weapons just because someone else was always camping the sniper/shotgun/rockets and I could go several matches without touching a single one.

Of course then those very same noobs would stupidly die and the other team would get the weapon. You've all seen it. For every guy who could ricochet a head shot from across the map there were legions who couldn't hit the broadside of a Scorpion tank.

Halo really popularized the regenerating health aspect to shooters, and COD really pushed the personal loadouts. The downside is without health and weapon pickups there isn't much reason to move about the map.

This is the prime downside of COD. No weapon/ammo pickups means people camp hard and there is little reason to move about the map. Designers really have to be careful about map design because players will really pick tight rooms or doors where they can shotgun/snipe with impunity.

Destiny tries to encourage map movement via ammo pickups. Barring that they would have to introduce something new in order to get players to leave their comfort zones.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread