I don't get it. How does less choice = more variety? (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, April 16, 2015, 02:08 (3317 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

As always, just one mans opinion, but I really think this would have made the multiplayer much more fun.

My title says it all. You keep saying that having a fixed set of guns on a map, instead of letting player bring in any gun they want, is going to make thing more interesting. I ask: "How?" How is that supposed to increase variety? Right now I don't have a clue what gun is going to greet me around the next corner. It might be the Khvostov 7G-02 or it might be The Last Word or it might anything in between. How does forcing players into a limited subset of Destiny's weapons increase the variety or unpredictability of encounters?

More fundamentally, the ability to choose any class, any power, and any gun at any time and having things be more or less fair across both PvE and PvP is one of Destiny's biggest selling points and one of its greatest achievements. It's not perfect. We've seen classes of weapons be too powerful or not powerful enough. We've seen individual weapons be crap or overwhelming. But, on the whole, I think Destiny's balance works pretty darn well. You're right, people would get upset, and in my opinion rightly so, if you took away the choices that make Destiny different from the decade of Halo that Bungie gave us before.

The one area I think your idea has merit is helping even out a new player's choices. I have very little to complain about. I have very nearly every gun in Destiny. For any gun I don't have I do have something that is a very close match. But a new player doesn't. Some hand picked, high end, map default weapons that could be selectable in addition to the freedom to bring whatever gun I own would be a really neat addition. You might see certain guns a lot on certain maps but there would still be that chance of getting hit with something completely unexpected.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread