If you don't have a kinect, you don't have an xbone [EDIT] (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 04:15 (3279 days ago) @ Kahzgul
edited by Korny, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 04:39

Sorry to tell you, but the voice commands are what make the system what it is. I find myself yelling "Xbox, record that" at my PS4 all the damn time. Other frequent commands in my house:

Xbox Watch TV
Xbox Watch Comedy Central
Xbox Pause
Xbox Play
Xbox go to Netflix

As someone who doesn't watch TV (nor would purchase a gaming system for the purposes of watching TV), this doesn't sell me on the Kinect, really. Especially if this is what "makes the system", then it's a crappy system for a person who just wants to game.
As for yelling at the tv to record something, I honestly don't see how that's easier than clicking the Share button that your finger is beside, hitting square, then going back to what you were doing. But 90% of my gaming is done in total silence, so randomly blurting out commands is kind of jarring for me, and might not be for you.

And the new update added voice messaging! Now I can tell my TV to tell my friends hi for me!

That's neat. I'm sure people will get some use out of it, but... why doesn't this work through headsets? Why does it NEED Kinect to work?

Also, the kinect voice commands are so easy my technology impaired wife can use it. She actually gets mad when using the other TV that the PS4 is connected to because she can't just talk to it.

That's the thing. PS4 does have voice commands, and you don't even need the camera to use them. Having the headset plugged in is enough to grant you full access to all of the voice command features. And even then, I never use them. I just don't see how talking to the console is any better than touching a couple of buttons real quick. But again, since I don't use the console for TV, I usually never have the controller out of my hands...

The funny thing is that when I was first messing with the Xbone, I plugged in the headset and tried giving it commands to test them out; but nope, you NEEEEEED to have the Kinect, since it holds audio prompts hostage the way it used to do for video clips.

It's GREAT. It gives me those warm "I live in the future" fuzzies.

Buy the Kinect. You will not regret it.

We bough the Kinect late in the 360's life cycle, and we still regretted it. If the only incentive is TV and slightly-more-competent recording features, then no thanks. Keeping features locked behind it for the sake of making you want it is the exact thing that I stated that I hated earlier. It's marketing ploys like that that make me NOT want to ever buy it.

--

Also your xbox issues sound like you need a hard reboot, and if they persist, you may need a new xbox. Ain't none of that mess normal, yo.

I did a Hard reboot, but haven't actually gotten around to checking if it worked, but I'm hopeful.

Edit: I just tested it, and yep, the audio thing was fixed for now (and I was able to catch Destiny giving me a Canary even before I could hit the start button on the menu, lol).
Also took some earlier advice and pinned the DVR thing to record longer. Much less of a hassle than before, so that's something.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread