The cost of Destiny (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 19:28 (3250 days ago) @ Oholiab

Awesome post. I really am excited for the days when my son is old enough to play games with. So jealous!

I did a similar computation during my heavy WoW playtime and found that it was saving me money because I would just pay $10 a month in subscription fees rather than $60 for a whole new game (or $120 for two games).

Unfortunately, Destiny's cost isn't so cut and dry for me.

My wife doesn't play and my kid is too young for me to play any game with guns in front of him. That means my time playing Destiny is strictly alone and about 50% in opposition to spending time with my wife (I only play after the kid is in bed, and about half of that playtime is while my wife is at work so there's no opportunity cost there). I view my Destiny play as more of a social mixing with my friends. TBH, if none of them are online, I usually don't even load up the game.

So while money-wise the cost is totally worth it (even though I'm not having nearly as much fun with the game these days), the real cost of the game to me is opportunity cost. What other games am I neglecting simply to be in chat with my friends? The answer is 100% of my xbox games, since my pals chat on PS4. So The Witcher 2 and 3, Bioshock: Infinite, Saits Row the Third, Massive Chalice (this game is great), Dying Light, Assassin's Creed 4, State of Decay... All games I'd rather be playing, but am not because chatting with my friends trumps that and I can presently only chat with them on PS4. For which my only games are Destiny and Warframe. I'll probably end up re-wiring my headset so I can chat in PS4 while playing xbox games. First world problems, yo.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread