The cost of Destiny (Destiny)

by Harmanimus @, Friday, June 26, 2015, 00:39 (3250 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I will always consider the concept of the $/hr value system to be a valid metric for rating a quantitative value to something. Now, the comparison when sterilized of qualitative reasoning is questionable. Howevet if you qualify similar media, then a comparison with disparate media is also viable.

My primary reasoning there is that it is a measurement to apply qualitative value to. If there are 2 films I see in theaters that have identical run times, my cost per hour is the same. From that we derive if I, as an individual, feel that my expenditure was worthwhile at those rates for either film. I will value a film I enjoyed more, even at a higher per hour cost because of that factor. The same thing is often used to compare the consumption of food. I prefer a latte from Starbucks for reliability, but will get one from a boutique establishment if their quality matches additional cost. Or as sometimes is the case, matches reduced cost.

Sterile data of cost per hour doesn't work, sure. But qualifying my cost of 0.32/hr as it currently stands with the amount of joy and appreciation of quality experiences is something altogether different. I've seen you just as easily dismiss the purely quality reasoning of "I enjoy this concept" just as you suggest dismissal of a quantitative measure here. Are you opposed to the ideas together as well?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread