Star Wars *OT* (Off-Topic)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, July 12, 2015, 21:42 (3231 days ago) @ Kermit

We don't know anything substantial about the story.

I don't want to know anything more about the story.

Oh I get that, I'm just saying you can't know if it's good if you don't know what the story is yet.

To be fair, I had forgotten they got him as the writer on this one. Still, has he never written anything you didn't like?

I've liked everything I've seen that he's worked on.

fair enough

Has Harrison Ford not signed on to any movies you didn't like?

Sure; a few. See my comment to Cody about that quote.

Your quote to Cody was that you don't think he's lying. I don't think he's lying either, but I don't know that his sensibilities and yours line up. You're saying now that they don't always line up; if I was you that wouldn't only make me excited, I would also consider the possibility of this being a case where his thoughts don't line up with mine.

I really feel sorry for people around your age, because I think it's particularly difficult for you to understand what made Star Wars special. It's been diluted, copied, and corrupted in so many ways over the years.

That's interesting, care to elaborate? I first saw the original movies in 1995 or 96, and I don't remember seeing anything quite like them... well, ever, come to think of it. I know it's been copied in pieces and in whole, and you can make arguments about the merchandise and the extended universe and the prequels, but I never really engaged with any of that besides the prequels, and those I just kind of watched and then didn't think about.

Nearly every blockbuster movie since Star Wars has been influenced by Star Wars. It's hard to describe the effect that movie had on the culture. I've not been very engaged either, but the prequels felt like a betrayal of my faith in Lucas as a creator. The mucking with the originals upon rerelease should've been the canary in the coal mine, but I wanted to believe. I'm not going to let my disappointment in that quell my excitement over what looks like an good faith effort to right the Star Wars ship.

Weren't you one of the people complaining about people who said they felt they were owed something other than the final game by Bungie or other developers? Yet here you are talking about George Lucas's betrayal, like there was some kind of agreement between you, like you knew him. Maybe I'm reading "a betrayal of my faith" wrong, but any way I look at it it seems melodramatic.

I'm not being cynical. I don't think they're deliberately misrepresenting the movie. If you mean "why are you so pessimistic?", I don't think I'm even being pessimistic, I'm trying to be realistic. I don't say stuff like this because I think something will be bad or to make other people think things will be bad, and in this case it's not even really about lowering expectations, it's about encouraging people to think things through. Maybe there's more material out there than I've heard about, AFAIK it's the video above, one teaser, some stills, some vague quotes like the one you gave, and a list of people working on it, and I don't think that's enough to have an informed opinion.

I've stated all the reasons I'm excited, and I don't need any more information--I know enough to be hopeful about Star Wars again, and that a big deal for me because the franchise was a very important part of my childhood.

Being hopeful and being excited are two different things. Hope is great, hope makes life worth living, hope doesn't need evidence, nor should it. Excitement, on the other hand, should be backed up by something, I think.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread