Star Wars *OT* (Off-Topic)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 01:28 (3229 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by General Vagueness, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 01:31

That's a subjective thing, and something only you can decide, and something you can only decide once you've seen the movie. Please forgive me if this sounds obvious, but this was supporting the point that you're ill-informed on the movie as it stands, which you've now said is true.

Read my posts again. Where did I ever say that the new Star Wars movie is good? How could I know that? You keep responding as if I said that--I didn't.

I was explaining, because you asked, how I had been making the point that you couldn't know if it was good or not yet. What I didn't say is that you're sort of acting like it is good, already.

To be clear: As of now I've heard, read, and seen enough (which I bet money is more than you have) about the new movie such that I hope and expect it to be good, and therefore I'm excited about it. This wasn't true when the movie was announced, but every bit of info I've gleaned since then has gradually gotten me to this point, not least of which what I heard and saw last week. I wouldn't have gotten into this discussion had you not said "we know next to nothing about the script" when what I knew about the script has been a big driver of my excitement. I didn't expect the Perry Mason treatment regarding my admiration of the people involved.

Well that strikes me as weird, because it seemed like you admitted you know next to nothing about the script, you just know someone who wrote stuff you like co-wrote it (not even wrote it, just co-wrote it) and an actor you like said it's very good. That may be enough for you and that's fine, but that's not a substantial amount of information, which is what I said.

I'm fine with fans acting like fans, it's when they act like fanatics that I get worried. That's not to say you're doing that, but an extreme degree of excitement-- more than I've seen in this thread-- is what I'd call fanatical, and I'm sure you've seen it and seen those people become the most disappointed with the final product, whatever the product may be.

I don't think that's me, but better to be fanatical about something that to be coldly analytical to where I won't let myself savor the anticipation of something that has the potential to be awesome. I know all about disappointment. I'm not scared of it.

That's not quite what I'm doing, it's similar though. I have some reading to do to be sure of what I've heard, and hopefully if this ever comes up again I can give you a short version of how I approach things.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread