Star Wars *OT* (Off-Topic)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, July 13, 2015, 19:43 (3231 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by General Vagueness, Monday, July 13, 2015, 19:49

I revise my statement. I've always appreciated Harrison Ford. His early work is fantastic (even the non-action stuff like American Graffiti and Witness). There are a few movies he's done that I'm not sure I'll like, but I haven't watched them in part because they weren't well received, but Ford is the kind of actor who can be better than the movie he's in. Actors (and writers, for that matter) have a limited amount of control over making a film good. Being involved in something that won't turn out as well as you'd like it to is precisely the situation he was worried about with the new Star Wars, which is why your logic is silly--you assume that his judgment of scripts is necessarily reflected in every movie he's made.

That's almost the opposite of what I was saying. I was saying that his judgment would be reflected in the scripts he made as a whole, which is why I asked if there were any that you didn't like. If it applied the same to every one then it wouldn't matter, you could look at one and apply it to all of them.

Good scripts get changed. Good scripts can get made into lousy movies. That said, bad scripts seldom get made into good movies. The man has starred in some of my favorite movies, so when he calls a script remarkable, that's an endorsement.

Here it sounds like you are just taking the movies you really like that he made and applying that to this with his positive comment about it.
I see your point about how not every movie will reflect his judgment, but that can be turned around-- what if this script has changed, what if it's poorly executed, what if there's some other hiccup?
Also, not turning out as well as you wanted isn't the only issue with quality. Beyond some technical aspects, a movie is like any other work in that quality is subjective. My point was very much about, not the movie turning out badly, but the movie not turning out in a way you like. Tons of people, including presumably George Lucas himself, thought the prequels were fine, while you obviously consider them garbage. That's a subjective thing, and something only you can decide, and something you can only decide once you've seen the movie. Please forgive me if this sounds obvious, but this was supporting the point that you're ill-informed on the movie as it stands, which you've now said is true.

I think you're reading it wrong. He betrayed my faith in him as a creator. It's another way of saying I lost confidence in his judgment and his abilities as an artist. If he decided the make documentaries, or art house films about migrant workers or something, I wouldn't feel justified calling it a betrayal just because he's not making space operas any more. If Bungie decides that what will work best for them as a studio involves making a game for a different platform, that's not a betrayal. That's a business decision. (If I felt differently, I would have been part of the crowd that ditched Bungie in 2000.)

Just out of curiosity, what do you think of the other movies he's made since the original trilogy, or have you seen any of them? I heard Red Tails was pretty good.

My hopes are intertwined with my excitement for the new Star Wars movie. I'll never understand how fan sites seem to attract people who object to fans who act like fans.

I'm fine with fans acting like fans, it's when they act like fanatics that I get worried. That's not to say you're doing that, but an extreme degree of excitement-- more than I've seen in this thread-- is what I'd call fanatical, and I'm sure you've seen it and seen those people become the most disappointed with the final product, whatever the product may be.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread