The apologists will rear their heads... (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, February 18, 2016, 00:35 (3014 days ago) @ Avateur

I assume it has something to do with your constant going-ons about how Millennials are this or Millennials are that and making everything and anything about age. You've never directed that at me, but you sure love to do it. You should stop discriminating against people based on age and generation, especially when you largely incorrectly apply it. I guess I'm calling you a hypocrite. But hey, Millennials are entitled and whiny and petulant and such. And you just can't resist saying it whenever you get the chance, even without knowing the age of the people posting!

I assume you're talking about this, the one time I've typed the word millennial on this forum or maybe anywhere else. I don't think about that label very often. (Had to double-check the spelling.) My cultural reference points are different from many others here, and I probably do highlight those too often (I apologize), but if I'm honest I probably feel self-conscious sometimes and other times maybe feel that the wizened aspect of my perspective is the only semi-unique thing I have to offer. The only real "old man" complaint I remember expressing here was about the casual crassness that seems more pervasive than it used to be. In general, though, millennials (most I've met have been gamers) impress the hell out of me. Many of you are smarter that I'll ever be, and kind-hearted to boot. You're much more accepting of older people than I think my generation was at your age. Some of my favorite people in the world hang out here and I call many of you friends and think of you as peers even though for some of you I'm old enough to be your dad.

Let's say you're right, though, Avateur, and you kids really bug me and I really want you to get off my lawn. Don't assume my comment to you had anything to do with that, your actual age, what generation you're a part of, or any sense of entitlement your generation may or may not have. My comment was about your negativity and yours alone.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread