PS4 Hard drive replacement (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, March 01, 2016, 16:04 (2986 days ago)

This might be of use to anybody thinking about upgrading their PS4 hard drive. Mine was running dangerously low, since for whatever reason every game decides to install rather than being read off the bluray disc, but whatever.

Anyway, the one small hangup I had was that if you are replacing your HD you need to install the PS software fresh. The instructions on Sony's website linked to an update that was around 300 megs. This won't work. You need the full install which is around 900 megs. The former is for updating when there is already system software installed, which there won't be on your blank drive. Just dig a bit and you can find it, but it is not very clear at first.

I did not know this, but 7200RPM drives are not officially supported (because of increased power draw I am guessing). Mine has been working fine so far and the consensus is that you'll be okay. Load times are noticeably better!

It was amazingly painless, and all consoles should be this way.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread