Amazing interview (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, March 02, 2016, 17:52 (2985 days ago) @ Kahzgul
edited by Korny, Wednesday, March 02, 2016, 17:55

Personally, I like developing a vague concept first, then core mechanics, then story, then ancillary mechanics to fit the action of the story, and then you brainstorm to see what else you can do with what you currently have. But all of that needs to happen well before actual coding.

What's weird is that this approach seemed to have been taken with Black Ops 3's campaign, and while the gameplay is fantastic and the story interesting, it is so far detached from the previous games that it might as well be in a completely different universe story-wise (there are only two references to the previous games, and one of them is a buried text file within the game's Grimoire). I feel that they tacked on the connection with the previous games late into development because they focused on core mechanics and their story before finding a way to tie it into the established Franchise (heck, the "Black Ops" in the title is used in a completely different context than the last two games).

Then again, that makes the story more accessible to a bigger crowd (and the ancillary material in the in-game Grimoire completely turns the story on its head).

PS. Since I never answered the "Five games in one" thing about Black Ops 3:

Campaign (+Survival missions),
Nightmares campaign,
Zombies,
Multiplayer (+Freerun),
Dead Ops Arcade 2 (complete with driving minigame!)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread