Does anyone here use Roku or AppleTV or other streaming box? (Off-Topic)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 11, 2016, 14:18 (3018 days ago) @ slycrel

Either work, you will need to advocate for a streaming service for them to get you what you want though.

AppleTV has all the major streaming services other than amazon (because amazon wants you to buy a fire stick and won't make an app). It's pretty easy to use. Most (all?) major broadcast networks have their own apps and you can stream a lot of the newer TV shows through them. The cable network apps often require a login with your cable service provider to provide much.

This. I've found that "big three" network apps require this, too, but I could be wrong.

I use an Apple TV along with a netflix subscription and have no complaints. I hear mixed things about Hulu plus, but if current network TV series are your thing, it's a pretty safe option for streaming.

I hear roku's are now pretty capable other than a slightly higher learning curve. If you're in the apple ecosystem you may miss some things, if not then it's a pretty solid choice as well.

If they are an Apple household, I'd definitely recommend an Apple TV and when I purchase things, I like iTunes, unless Amazon is having a sale or something. That brings up one possible point in a Roku's favor. If Amazon Prime and Netflix are offered on the Roku, that broadens the selection of streaming content somewhat if your parents are Prime subscribers.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread