How's that new model working out? (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 22:09 (2956 days ago) @ Kahzgul

What surprises me is that Bungie doesn't seem to be designing to the strengths of the game. The core gunplay and movement of Destiny is a joy, but the vast majority of actual gameplay is staid, repetitive, and grindy as hell.

I've been trying to get the point across that such a failing is inherent to the genre itself. Bungie DID design Destiny to its strengths. That's why it's an MMO that is actually somewhat bearable to play, which is a testament to their abilities. But it's working as a genre in which stale, repetitive grinding is not only prevalent but necessary. Hence my trashing the entire genre of MMOs.

Cruel's description of how Chroma works is absolutely insane. Nobody who actually loves games and is trying to make the best experience possible would ever sign off on something so utterly stupid and exploitative.

I fear they are on the MMO train, and there ain't no getting off till the stop. If they redesigned Destiny as an RPG, then it would not be at an inherent disadvantage, and could possibly rise to greatness without caveats.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread