Fantastic, semi-relevant interview with Gary Numan (Gaming)

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 19:09 (2947 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

"What’s really cool is that I think the days of the record company are numbered. That’s not a bad thing. I think they’ve screwed artists really badly for decades. They still are. Now it’s all swinging toward label services, which is a much better thing for the artist. The thing is, as an artist, I would much rather have the fan standing right there. They give me their money. Here’s my album. We have a little chat. Fantastic. A nice, close interaction. We’re talking to each other and there’s nobody in between. I think the music industry has been plagued by people getting in between artists and fans."

I like this too. A guy I know called Butch Walker put out a pay what you want live album in 2008 and he released it on therecordbusinessisfucked.com. He's pretty correct.

That said, record labels still are useful to me. For example, I like Hopeless Records. In general, if I see a band got picked up by those guys, I give them a listen. Also, the unsigned bands I know put out music that sounds like demos and they're pretty much only available on MP3 or CDs, when I would prefer to buy on the much more convenient and cost effective wax cylinder, or in a pinch, vinyl.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread