Pretty accurate (Gaming)

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, June 01, 2016, 23:49 (2905 days ago) @ Vortech

Adding on to that, or maybe to the side, is that a lot of these "new" techniques really play into bands that already have a solid fan base. Radiohead released In Rainbows as Pay-What-You-Want and there were lots of think pieces written about how it was going to Change Music Forever TM. The thing is, if they had been a brand new band releasing their debut album, they would have made less than $100 on that. As it was, they never released their sales figures, but they abandoned that release model for their next album, so I guess they thought they would either make more money the other way, or it wasn't worth the technical hurdles of handling all the hosting/downloads themselves.

Beyonce released her last two albums with absolutely no press lead up (maybe like a week of notice, or maybe just some teasers.) Have you heard of Beyonce? Would anyone have known or cared about her albums if they had not already heard of Beyonce since the mid-90s? (No.)

Getting big in the old system and using it to build brand and name recognition, and then carrying that over to and using the new systems to make it even bigger works really well. It's good work, if you can get it.

That being said--I'm ecstatic that I can afford pro-sumer level studio equipment to record music myself, because that is my biggest creative passion in life. I write weird music that no label would ever front recording session costs for.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread