Jokes is sometimes not jokes. (DBO)

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 21:15 (2883 days ago) @ someotherguy

That's not you said, though. You said it's only funny when you know your audience.

This is a comic's perspective: I posit a joke is always potentially funny unless you're a person being offended, where it's you, not the joke teller, who needs to accept that you're not the right person for the joke.

I've been offended at jokes plenty of times, and I have Tumblr style things that "trigger" me, make me uncomfortable, etc.

In those cases, I tell my friends, please don't talk about those things around me. I don't say "that subject is never funny." You said as much in the post to which I'm replying, so we probably agree.

Jokes are just jokes. They're always just jokes. You know Raflection's intent is entirely humorous, he hid his joke in a spoiler tag, and so on. Is it racy for a gaming forum? Yeah. But it's not not funny just because a lot of people don't like the subject.

You are right to say that you didn't like the joke and would appreciate it if people didn't make those types of jokes. This is a good idea. We're not assholes here, the people who might make those jokes in the future will probably refrain from doing it if they read this post. I think you're wrong to say that it's not funny unless you know your audience.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread