Let's talk PvP Weapon Balance (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 20, 2016, 18:28 (3020 days ago)

Cruel and Cody got into an interesting discussion in the "it's not over" thread, and rather than trying to show up late to that party and also attempt to derail the conversation, I figured this deserved its own topic.

PvP weapon balance. This is a beast with two heads right now. On the one hand, the weapon balance since the last patch is the best it's ever been. Most primaries are about the same as most other primaries. Most secondaries are about the same as most other secondaries. And most heavies are about the same as most other heavies. On the other hand, the balance is frustratingly awful. Primary weapons are outclassed at every turn by secondary weapons.

And here's the issue: To make primaries balanced, Bungie has steadily nerfed the best performing weapons to bring them more in line with the worst performing ones. This means that your average TTK with primary weapons is in the 2-3 second range, which is an eternity. I know some guns are theoretically a 1.33 TTK, but that's a fantasyland that only Luminosity and RealKrafty will actually be able to visit. For the rest of us mere mortals, TTK is higher.

Conversely, secondary weapons are OHK machines. As soon as you pull the trigger, the enemy dies. That means that in the vast majority of situations where a primary weapon is up against a secondary weapon, the secondary weapon will win.

Bungie has tried to address this by making secondary weapon ammo more scarce. It has not had the proper effect. Same with heavy ammo. Now, when one team is winning the map control game, they are flush with rare ammo and are able to kill the enemy team with OHKs all day. The other team, stuffed down into a corner, has really very little hope of coming back since they simply cannot compete with all of the OHK options.

Personally, I think a couple of changes should be made:

- Players start matches with no special ammo whatsoever.
- Special ammo replenishes on the old 30 second timer. none of this wait 1:30 from the start nonsense.
- Special ammo is only partially lost when changing weapons. Ideally, you only lose the ammo that is loaded into your gun at the time of the switch. I'll explain below.
- If a player using a special weapon or heavy weapon is killed by a player using a primary, then a matching ammo brick is dropped.

That last one is the big one. It gives players who are getting stuffed into a corner a chance to punch their way out. It also prevents someone from grabbing a rocket launcher, blasting an entire team, and then getting 40 more rockets from all of their dropped bricks.

There are also some weird special case weapons that need addressing, and I've got a solution for that as well:
- With Invective, the ammo needs to be chanced to regen directly to the tube of the shotgun instead of to the reserve. This is actually a nerf to the gun, as it prevents stockpiling of reserve ammo.
- If the special ammo weapon changeover rule is applied as I've described, neither invective nor ice breaker will be usable to fuel other weapons.
- Sidearms can be made to behave similarly to how they work now by doubling their magazine sizes and filling the mags on respawn without otherwise adjusting reserve ammunition.

Up until this point, the changes I've suggested are just to resolve special weapon and heavy weapon ammo scarcity and abuse. But the real problem is primary weapon impotency. So let's look at that now:

Secondary weapons are generally identically lethal on their first shot. Fusion Rifles differ somewhat, but also are not generally regarded as top tier PvP weapons. Shotguns focus on range above all else, and Snipers focus on aim assist to help with hitting a clean headshot. Other stats such as recoil pattern, reload speed, and so forth are far less impactful on these weapons than on primary weapons.

As such, a primary weapon is double-weak compared to a secondary: Not only does it take longer to kill, but it also suffers from recoil and magazine size issues in ways that secondary weapons simply don't. What can address this?

- First, ADS aiming needs to be fixed. The camera bounce should exactly match the bloom pattern of hipfire, and all bullets should always go where the reticle is pointed. There should be no hidden bloom effect that could possibly result in "phantom" bullets. All shot adjustment should be visibly communicated in the camera and reticle bounce while ADS.

- Second, I think all primary weapons should ADS more quickly than they currently do. It makes no sense that someone can quickscope with a sniper but can't quickburst a pulse rifle.

Mitigating these additional weaknesses of primary weapons should, I think, allow them to be more competitive without actually changing their damage outputs in a potentially gamebreaking way.

----

Thoughts?

Let's talk PvP Weapon Balance

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 20, 2016, 18:36 (3020 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Bungie has tried to address this by making secondary weapon ammo more scarce. It has not had the proper effect. Same with heavy ammo. Now, when one team is winning the map control game, they are flush with rare ammo and are able to kill the enemy team with OHKs all day. The other team, stuffed down into a corner, has really very little hope of coming back since they simply cannot compete with all of the OHK options.

It used to be if you killed a guy who was using a special or heavy, they dropped their special and heavy. This ended up not being to people's liking, as getting heavy kills often meant you just got more heavy and dominated longer.

But when special and heavy is scarce, you can starve the other team as you say.

The solution? Enemies will drop their special and heavy ammo if you kill them with a weaker class of weapon. If you kill someone wielding a heavy with either a special or a primary, they should drop their box. Kill a special wielder with a primary, and they drop their box. Kill a special wielder with a heavy? Nothing for you. See how it goes? This is slightly more progressive than your suggestion of primary only.

This completely prevents the positive feedback previously associated with ammo drops, but it now gives the team who is down a chance to turn things around with good plays.

Your suggestion is a good one, even though I thought of it first. :-p

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 20, 2016, 19:07 (3020 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It used to be if you killed a guy who was using a special or heavy, they dropped their special and heavy. This ended up not being to people's liking, as getting heavy kills often meant you just got more heavy and dominated longer.

But when special and heavy is scarce, you can starve the other team as you say.

The solution? Enemies will drop their special and heavy ammo if you kill them with a weaker class of weapon. If you kill someone wielding a heavy with either a special or a primary, they should drop their box. Kill a special wielder with a primary, and they drop their box. Kill a special wielder with a heavy? Nothing for you. See how it goes? This is slightly more progressive than your suggestion of primary only.

This completely prevents the positive feedback previously associated with ammo drops, but it now gives the team who is down a chance to turn things around with good plays.

Did you? well done. I think it's a solid idea as well. I'm not sure i like getting heavy if you kill them with a special.. OHKs are OHKs either way you slice it, and I'm more concerned about making primary weapons more... primary.

*AHEM*

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, June 20, 2016, 19:21 (3020 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

LOL

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 20, 2016, 19:30 (3020 days ago) @ CyberKN

That could be doctored. Link to the post? :-p

Ok

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, June 20, 2016, 19:32 (3020 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Ok

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 20, 2016, 19:44 (3020 days ago) @ CyberKN

I guess you're the genius here!

Makes me think of a "less than juggler" modifier for PvP...

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, June 20, 2016, 19:25 (3020 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, June 20, 2016, 18:50 (3020 days ago) @ Kahzgul

First off. Let me state that I strongly feel that PvP and PvE should be completely divorced from each other. That way they can balance the weapons individually.

I'm a huge fan of the Halo Reach/4 style of loadouts. I think they accomplished the tasks at hand extremely well. You were given a primary/secondary and then you picked up other power weapons as the game went on. The difference was that the secondary was essentially another primary weapon, not a one hit kill weapon.

You could have a similar setup where the focus is taken completely away from the shotgun/sniper/fusion setup we are currently dealing with.

I would suggest that in PvP only we are able to choose a primary and a secondary from our Primaries + sidearms. Combine all of the OHK weapons into a power weapons category.

This would completely shift the gameplay back to being focused on weapon skill rather then just getting that one shot that dominates everything else.

Now with secondary/heavies being combined into one slot. You make it where the ammo is even more scarce. Let special/heavy drop once or twice per match. Give each weapon the max of one magazine no exception. Snipers/Shotguns/Fusions could get buffed to a base of 5-6 rounds of ammo. Heavies would get 2 rockets max, and one magazine of MG. The kicker on this is you then have to choose what you want when that ammo drops. You get one or the other only, never both at the same time.

The main issue I see with this is Supers would be extremely hard to shut down (maybe that's a good thing?)

I agree with your assessment of the ADS. primaries should go much faster then secondaries and heavys.

+1 to portions of this.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, June 20, 2016, 19:37 (3020 days ago) @ unoudid

I would suggest that in PvP only we are able to choose a primary and a secondary from our Primaries + sidearms. Combine all of the OHK weapons into a power weapons category.

This would completely shift the gameplay back to being focused on weapon skill rather then just getting that one shot that dominates everything else.

Now with secondary/heavies being combined into one slot. You make it where the ammo is even more scarce. Let special/heavy drop once or twice per match. Give each weapon the max of one magazine no exception. Snipers/Shotguns/Fusions could get buffed to a base of 5-6 rounds of ammo. Heavies would get 2 rockets max, and one magazine of MG. The kicker on this is you then have to choose what you want when that ammo drops. You get one or the other only, never both at the same time.

Would you keep or lose sniper/shotty ammo when you died?

For crucible I like the idea of having 2 primaries and putting OHK weapons in a special third slot. If we weren't dropping our ammo on death I think I'd expect to keep shotgun/sniper/fusion ammo between deaths, but not rocket/machine gun/sword ammo. Also, I think ammo for your second primary should be somewhat limited. Perhaps ammo would go with which slot the gun is in, so green ammo would be required for your second primary, and purple for your OHK weapon.

I don't like this solution for PvE. I'd hate to chose between sniper ammo and heavy ammo in PvE. You might be able to convince me if green ammo made any second primary shoot elemental damage, maybe.

+1 to portions of this.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, June 20, 2016, 20:38 (3020 days ago) @ dogcow

Would you keep or lose sniper/shotty ammo when you died?

I'm fine with losing all special ammo on death. If not then it needs to be very limited, maybe you could lose it after two deaths? I'm not 100% sure on this. I figure special weapons and heavy weapons should feel special. by making the ammo so scarce then it really becomes special.

For crucible I like the idea of having 2 primaries and putting OHK weapons in a special third slot. If we weren't dropping our ammo on death I think I'd expect to keep shotgun/sniper/fusion ammo between deaths, but not rocket/machine gun/sword ammo. Also, I think ammo for your second primary should be somewhat limited. Perhaps ammo would go with which slot the gun is in, so green ammo would be required for your second primary, and purple for your OHK weapon.

I like the idea of having to pick up ammo for your currently equipped weapon only. With the exception being ammo crates for secondary/heavy. Those just go to the slot even if not equipped at the time.

I don't like this solution for PvE. I'd hate to chose between sniper ammo and heavy ammo in PvE. You might be able to convince me if green ammo made any second primary shoot elemental damage, maybe.

This is why I really think there should be a split between PvP and PvE. I think PvE is in a fairly good spot where it is.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, June 20, 2016, 19:41 (3020 days ago) @ unoudid

First off. Let me state that I strongly feel that PvP and PvE should be completely divorced from each other. That way they can balance the weapons individually.

Interestingly, Elite: Dangerous does this with their CQC multiplayer mode (as opposed to killing other players in open play). I find CQC fun, but it's sort of game-breaking because of the split. There are special weapons, ships, and equipment that don't exist in the main game even if they are clearly superior to the weapons and ships that are. It also has a special progression mode that is completely different from the main game. In order to encourage players to participate in this mode you can earn money, but to keep players in the main game from being annoyed they made it so the monetary rewards are extremely low until you've sunk in a lot of hours to rank up and "prestige" (seems similar to how crucible rewards were historically low). They also reward players with a special location that you can only visit when you fully rank up once in that mode (similar to the lighthouse but not as cool - it does give easy access to all weapons, ships and equipment in the game but there are other places that do the same thing). In theory, CQC is a "sport" within the real game world, but the connection is very tenuous so it barely feels like the rest of the game. Finally, because everything is balanced differently in this mode it feels a little wrong. The ships fly a bit differently, and the weapons behave differently. It's not good for newer players because when they switch between this mode and the open play mode they have to re-learn some thing which are often subtle differences.

I think Destiny would have similar issues. One of the design goals of Bungie seems to be that they want you to have to earn things so you feel like they are "your weapons" (ignoring whether that works as intended or not). How would you do that in a separate Crucible mode? Bungie's current approach is to share weapons between modes and try to make them feel similar in the two modes. An alternative would be to make the crucible have a fixed set of weapons and ignore the idea of progression entirely. You could have special "Crucible" weapons that you don't get to use in the main game but you unlock by playing the crucible. The main problem with those approaches is they are game-breaking. If your guardian is "training" to fight in the Crucible, then why wouldn't they use those same weapons in the rest of the game?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, June 20, 2016, 20:45 (3020 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I really think the only way to make PvP competitive on an esports level would be to make it where you have a fixed set of weapons to choose from. Either create specific crucible weapons you have to use. Or my favorite option, eliminate the RNG altogether from the weapons when it comes to perk selection in some manor. Again, make the gunsmith useful. You should be able to buy or unlock pieces with glimmer/marks/progression. Once they are unlocked then you have it available from then on out. Just let us craft our weapons. It's pretty crappy we are trying to save humanity but have no say in what weapons we get to use thanks to RNG.

Your comments about the feel of things in Elite: Dangerous brings up a good point. The feel should never change between PvE and PvP. Just tweak the damage or limit the OHK weapons or some other method to keep things balanced.

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 05:48 (3020 days ago) @ unoudid

I really think the only way to make PvP competitive on an esports level would be to make it where you have a fixed set of weapons to choose from. Either create specific crucible weapons you have to use. Or my favorite option, eliminate the RNG altogether from the weapons when it comes to perk selection in some manor. Again, make the gunsmith useful. You should be able to buy or unlock pieces with glimmer/marks/progression. Once they are unlocked then you have it available from then on out. Just let us craft our weapons. It's pretty crappy we are trying to save humanity but have no say in what weapons we get to use thanks to RNG.

This has always bugged me. Can't I take my rangefinder Party Crasher and my Aggressive Ballistics Party Crasher to the gunsmith and have him... I dunno... *smith* me a Party Crasher with both perks? So silly.

Personally, I don't think Destiny will ever be an e-sports worthy game simply because of the networking model. You can't trust that a player you shoot at is actually there. That being said, there should absolutely be a "fixed weapons" game mode. That would be awesome. Pre-fabricated weapons for use only in the crucible's most competitive modes. Hell yes.

Hey, that's my idea

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Monday, June 20, 2016, 20:23 (3020 days ago) @ unoudid

Hey, that's my idea* Sort of :)

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, June 20, 2016, 20:45 (3020 days ago) @ BeardFade

I'd much rather have dual primaries then being forced into a sidearm. Even though I really enjoy sidearms.

Hey, that's my idea* Sort of :)

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 14:28 (3020 days ago) @ unoudid

I'd much rather have dual primaries then being forced into a sidearm. Even though I really enjoy sidearms.

Holy crap, you know how much better I'd do if I ran with Mida and Soulstealer's Claw at the same time? Geez.

I'd love to see this type of gameplay

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 15:23 (3020 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Use the combo of Scout + Sidearm/autorifle. or Pulse and hand cannon. I'd probably run a short range pulse + scout the majority of the time. Since I like fighting at range more then up close stuff. Heck, even TLW + Scout would be awesome. Just force the use of primaries over OHK secondaries.

Singlepoint Sling would end up becoming an extremely valuable perk due to being able to switch weapons instead of forcing a reload.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, June 20, 2016, 19:17 (3020 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I keep thinking back to a post you made months ago (I think it was you), talking about how the CoD series has tackled certain weapon-balance issues by making certain weapons affect the player's base movement speed. That has always seemed like an elegant, effective, and logical solution to some of these problems. Carrying a sniper rifle or a machine gun should slow down the player a little bit. It would certainly help address the issue of run-and-gun snipers and shotgunners being so dominant, while placing a non-DPS-related emphasis on using primary weapons.

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 00:49 (3020 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I keep thinking back to a post you made months ago (I think it was you), talking about how the CoD series has tackled certain weapon-balance issues by making certain weapons affect the player's base movement speed. That has always seemed like an elegant, effective, and logical solution to some of these problems. Carrying a sniper rifle or a machine gun should slow down the player a little bit. It would certainly help address the issue of run-and-gun snipers and shotgunners being so dominant, while placing a non-DPS-related emphasis on using primary weapons.

errrr.... shotguns and heavy machine guns do slow you down. HMGs since I've been playing, and the 2.1 update slowed movement while holding a shotty

Here's the notes from december:

Slower ready/put away time for all shotguns
Additional recoil on weapon fire for all Stability values
Slower reload speed for all Reload stat values
Slower time to Aim Down Sights speed for all shotguns
Slower movement speed when shotgun is held. Walk and Aim Down Sights movement is affected. Sprint is unaffected

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 00:52 (3020 days ago) @ electricpirate

errrr.... shotguns and heavy machine guns do slow you down. HMGs since I've been playing, and the 2.1 update slowed movement while holding a shotty

Slower movement speed when shotgun is held. Walk and Aim Down Sights movement is affected. Sprint is unaffected

Well then... Never mind :)

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 05:14 (3020 days ago) @ electricpirate

This slower movement speed when shotgun is held doesn't affect sprint though, which is your primary movement speed in pvp, so it's almost a negligible adjustment. Also, a thing we did in CoD was cap your look sensitivity with certain guns, so if you picked up the BAR, you were turn-speed capped to 3, regardless of what you had it set to. In fact, only the knife let you turn at speed 10; all other weapons were capped in some way (even dual pistols capped at 9, but since few people set their look speed to 10, not many people knew they weren't max speed weapons).

Anyway, Bungie has been slowly (painfully slowly) tweaking things like ADS speed (one of the recent patches made snipers take 2 frames longer to ADS)... but that sort of super minor tweak needs to be performed waaaay more often than once every 6 months if they ever hope to achieve balance.

I like to point to Mass Effect 3 as a great example of not only how to handle new content in a microtransaction environment, but also how to balance their multiplayer. Weekly changes. Occasionally wildly experimental, with an added bonus bounty if you used the weapons being experimented on. Yes, the meta shifted more quickly than Bungie's meta does, but they were constantly getting closer to the balance that they wanted.

If only every game were more like Mass Effect 3 :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, June 27, 2016, 16:03 (3014 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

by Harmanimus @, Monday, June 20, 2016, 20:25 (3020 days ago) @ Kahzgul

These discussions always make me feel a little bit like I am playing a different game from everyone else. I agree with handling improvements on primary weapons. I agree that something should be done for the ammo economy (I like the overall Primary > Secondary > Heavy drop discussed elsewhere) and haven't really noticed current scarcity of special being a problem in maining a special weapon on the occasion.

However, I don't feel like I get OHK by specials everytime I come against them. Outliers (quick/no-scope from snipers mostly) are irritating to be sure, and there are ways to counter that (slower/delayed scope-in for snipers or no precision when hipfired, as two examples) with design changes. However, in most encounters where I lose to a special weapon it is because I made a bad play. Such as sticking my head out into active sniper lanes. Or trying to close with an enemy around a corner who is unsurprisingly packing a shotgun. Or being in the open/traveling a predictable path and I get caught by a Fusion rifle.

However, if I'm running a primary weapon I tend to avoid the niche situations where the Special weapons are designed to excell. I don't have much issue with them and I usually win those engagements by playing to the strengths of my weapons and the design of the map. And often enough if someone is poor in their aim with any of the OHK Specials even when they have advantage in positioning I often find one can hold their own. A missed sniper shot or shotgun blast that only partially connects might leave me an easy mop up, but I win a fair number of the engagements. At least fair enough I don't feel they break the game. And often enough when I just don't quite land enough splinters of a Fusion Rifle burst I know it's my fault when I get finished off by a primary.

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 05:29 (3020 days ago) @ Harmanimus

These discussions always make me feel a little bit like I am playing a different game from everyone else. I agree with handling improvements on primary weapons. I agree that something should be done for the ammo economy (I like the overall Primary > Secondary > Heavy drop discussed elsewhere) and haven't really noticed current scarcity of special being a problem in maining a special weapon on the occasion.

However, I don't feel like I get OHK by specials everytime I come against them. Outliers (quick/no-scope from snipers mostly) are irritating to be sure, and there are ways to counter that (slower/delayed scope-in for snipers or no precision when hipfired, as two examples) with design changes. However, in most encounters where I lose to a special weapon it is because I made a bad play. Such as sticking my head out into active sniper lanes. Or trying to close with an enemy around a corner who is unsurprisingly packing a shotgun. Or being in the open/traveling a predictable path and I get caught by a Fusion rifle.

However, if I'm running a primary weapon I tend to avoid the niche situations where the Special weapons are designed to excell. I don't have much issue with them and I usually win those engagements by playing to the strengths of my weapons and the design of the map. And often enough if someone is poor in their aim with any of the OHK Specials even when they have advantage in positioning I often find one can hold their own. A missed sniper shot or shotgun blast that only partially connects might leave me an easy mop up, but I win a fair number of the engagements. At least fair enough I don't feel they break the game. And often enough when I just don't quite land enough splinters of a Fusion Rifle burst I know it's my fault when I get finished off by a primary.

You're not playing a different game at all. I'm not walking around being OHK'd by everything I see. That being said, I don't like that the current OHK capability of snipers and shotguns (and supers and rockets and fusion rifles) can still deliver ultimate punishment to you if you don't make a mistake. I can get the complete drop on a dude, but it takes so long for my primary to kill him that he can turn all the way around and shotgun my face. That simply shouldn't be possible. Now, it wouldn't be problematic if special ammo wasn't so scarce, but when you get into situations where you have no special, you're really screwed in this game right now. "secondary" weapons are everyone's go-to guns. They're not specific role weapons at all - they're playstyle defining, and they certainly aren't of secondary nature compared to primaries.

CoD gets around this by making shotguns and snipers primary weapons as well, and restricting secondaries to anti-air or pistols, as well as by giving all guns a faster TTK so that one mistake on either side of a shootout is fatal.

But Destiny doesn't have this. You can land 4 shots with MIDA on a sniper and he can still OHK you even though you were lighting his world on fire. That's not something I can do, because I suck a sniping under duress, but it's been done to me plenty of times, often by snipers who weren't even facing me when I started firing. Similarly, the range on shotguns with god rolls is so large that it doesn't matter if you're backing up the whole time you're firing because they can still close the gap and OHK you. This dramatic power gap is the issue I have. The prevalence of OHKs in destiny is part of what makes destiny's pvp exciting and compelling. I'm not advocating removing them. You'll note I didn't suggest a single nerf to any weapon's ability to OHK. Rather, I want to see a lessening of the gap between primary 2+ second TTKs and secondary instant TTKs.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 14:33 (3020 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Now, it wouldn't be problematic if special ammo wasn't so scarce, but when you get into situations where you have no special, you're really screwed in this game right now. "secondary" weapons are everyone's go-to guns. They're not specific role weapons at all - they're playstyle defining, and they certainly aren't of secondary nature compared to primaries.

I'm having some trouble with your argument. Either everyone's running around with secondaries all the time, or secondary ammo is so scarce you can't actually use them in emergency situations... I don't think you can have both.

(I occasionally get killed by a shotgunner that spins around while I'm hitting him with my primary after I got the drop on him... but I also occasionally get lucky no-scope snipes on someone rushing me that I have no time to counter with my primary. It really seems to work both ways, for me. It seems 'fair'.)

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 16:58 (3019 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Now, it wouldn't be problematic if special ammo wasn't so scarce, but when you get into situations where you have no special, you're really screwed in this game right now. "secondary" weapons are everyone's go-to guns. They're not specific role weapons at all - they're playstyle defining, and they certainly aren't of secondary nature compared to primaries.

I'm having some trouble with your argument. Either everyone's running around with secondaries all the time, or secondary ammo is so scarce you can't actually use them in emergency situations... I don't think you can have both.

Both of the scenarios you describe are happening now. A team with board control also has ammo control and effectively has infinite secondary ammo. A team without board control has no ammo at all for their secondaries. The result is lopsided contests which are over from 1:30 in, but have to play out for the next 8 minutes in a way that isn't fun at all for the team that can't even get out of their spawn to get ammo. I've been on both sides of these matches, and it's totally fun to dominate the other team, but I think more can be done to at least give the poor guys a chance here.

Making primaries more powerful would allow you to challenge secondaries (while still being at a slight disadvantage), and making secondary ammo spawn more frequently (but start without any at all) would make acquiring secondary ammo easier, while removing the value of controlling the ammo spawns. The present ammo timer of 1:30 at the start gives a team enough time to establish control over all of the ammo spawns before any ammo appears. The original 30 second timer wasn't long enough to do that, so achieving ammo control wasn't a big deal because it wasn't really possible that quickly.

(I occasionally get killed by a shotgunner that spins around while I'm hitting him with my primary after I got the drop on him... but I also occasionally get lucky no-scope snipes on someone rushing me that I have no time to counter with my primary. It really seems to work both ways, for me. It seems 'fair'.)

This is exactly my thesis statement: The game is both the most balanced it's ever been and horribly unbalanced. Secondaries are balanced well for other secondaries. Primaries for other primaries. But the game between the two is massive. Secondary vs. secondary is fair. Primary vs. primary is fair. Primary vs. secondary is not fair at all.

Case and point: It took me 5 games of 10-20 kills per game to actually get 10 hand cannon kills last week. If that had been "get 10 shotgun kills in a game" I could have easily done it in one game, but with a hand cannon, even if I'd intentionally done nothing but hand cannon, I'd have gotten far fewer kills (and my K/D would have been in the basement, meaning my team would probably have lost the close games, too). Even with my best primary, the pulse rifle, I almost never get more than 5 kills per game with it (I know because I've had the same "games with 6+ pulse kills" bounty for over a month). and, again, I'm almost always in the 10-20 total kills per game range. I mean, when was the last time you even bothered trying to complete a "get 9+ kills with x primary type" bounty? In year 1 that would have been a gimmie. In year 2 it's nearly impossible.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 17:11 (3019 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Both of the scenarios you describe are happening now. A team with board control also has ammo control and effectively has infinite secondary ammo. A team without board control has no ammo at all for their secondaries. The result is lopsided contests which are over from 1:30 in, but have to play out for the next 8 minutes in a way that isn't fun at all for the team that can't even get out of their spawn to get ammo. I've been on both sides of these matches, and it's totally fun to dominate the other team, but I think more can be done to at least give the poor guys a chance here.

Ah. Now I understand what you were saying. (This doesn't happen to me TOO often, so I have trouble saying it's a problem that needs fixing, but I'd feel differently if the majority of games I was playing were like this. (Or even a significant percentage.))

This is exactly my thesis statement: The game is both the most balanced it's ever been and horribly unbalanced. Secondaries are balanced well for other secondaries. Primaries for other primaries. But the game between the two is massive. Secondary vs. secondary is fair. Primary vs. primary is fair. Primary vs. secondary is not fair at all.

Heh - I can't even tell you the number of times I'm trying to snipe someone from across the map (say, door of C's lower building to top of B ramp on Black Shield) when I get killed by the guy I'm trying to snipe... where he's using a scout rifle. It's embarrassing.

I see it happen to others in the games I'm in, too. And I do it, sometimes. I think you and I play in different leagues; at my skill level, Primary vs Secondary is fair enough of the time. (It shouldn't ALWAYS be fair - otherwise, what would be the point of more powerful secondaries?)

Case and point: It took me 5 games of 10-20 kills per game to actually get 10 hand cannon kills last week. If that had been "get 10 shotgun kills in a game" I could have easily done it in one game, but with a hand cannon, even if I'd intentionally done nothing but hand cannon, I'd have gotten far fewer kills (and my K/D would have been in the basement, meaning my team would probably have lost the close games, too). Even with my best primary, the pulse rifle, I almost never get more than 5 kills per game with it (I know because I've had the same "games with 6+ pulse kills" bounty for over a month). and, again, I'm almost always in the 10-20 total kills per game range. I mean, when was the last time you even bothered trying to complete a "get 9+ kills with x primary type" bounty? In year 1 that would have been a gimmie. In year 2 it's nearly impossible.

Heh - again, I finish the Scout one almost every week it's available, on my Warlock, using Tlaloc. You and I have very, very different playstyles. :)

Man, we should get together sometime

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 23:41 (3019 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I want to see how the other half lives.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 00:17 (3019 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I'd have to get my PS4 character above level 17. (And I'd have to get my PS4 out of storage. ;) )

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 00:34 (3019 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'd have to get my PS4 character above level 17. (And I'd have to get my PS4 out of storage. ;) )

Wouldn't that be worth it to join the deeply flawed raiders?

Jooooooiiiiiin Uuuuuuuuusssssss

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 09:12 (3019 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

It's a Trap!!

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 10:56 (3019 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 21:13 (3019 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Primary vs. secondary is not fair at all.

It's not supposed to be. Special weapons are supposed to dominate in special circumstances.

At close range AR vs Shotgun is supposed to go to shotgun.
At Midrange Hand canon vs Fusion rifle is supposed to go to fusion rifle.
At long range, Scout rifle vs sniper is supposed to go to sniper.

Assuming you know how to use the secondaries properly that is.

Agreed.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 22:04 (3019 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 23:47 (3019 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's not supposed to be. Special weapons are supposed to dominate in special circumstances.

You just described all circumstances.

Which would be fine if the game gave you enough ammo to fight back with a secondary, but map control is attainable in the first 1:30 of the game, preventing the other team from ever getting special ammo and therefore giving a major arms race advantage to the team that controls the ammo spawns. Improving primary weapons will mitigate this so games are less lopsided early on and it's possible to mount a comeback even when you're starved for special ammo.

The issue is not that special weapons are better. It's that they are dramatically better and it is nearly impossible for a team without special ammo to mount a comeback against a team with special ammo. The gulf is huge. Year 1 had better special vs. primary balance than year 2, while year 2 has better primary vs. primary and special vs. special balance. There is an even better weapon balance model which is attainable.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 23:55 (3019 days ago) @ Kahzgul

The issue is not that special weapons are better. It's that they are dramatically better and it is nearly impossible for a team without special ammo to mount a comeback against a team with special ammo. The gulf is huge. Year 1 had better special vs. primary balance than year 2, while year 2 has better primary vs. primary and special vs. special balance. There is an even better weapon balance model which is attainable.

So you allow people to drop special / heavy ammo if they are killed with a weaker weapon class creating another opportunity to turn games around.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 16:11 (3019 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So you allow people to drop special / heavy ammo if they are killed with a weaker weapon class creating another opportunity to turn games around.

Which is also a thing we all suggested :)

Primary weapons vs Special weapons

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 13:01 (3019 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So I think Cody is completely right here. The problem, as I see it, has a little bit less to do with weapon balance and more to do with map layout & player counts. I've been saying for quite some time that most of Destiny's maps are too small for 6v6. With so many players all over the map, it's almost impossible to move without stepping into a sniper lane or running into a shotguner camping a doorway. That's one of the reasons I prefer Trials over any other PvP mode: special weapons are still extremely important, but with only 3 players on the enemy team it is easier to keep track of what special weapons they're using, which sight lines they are covering, etc.

All that said, I do still feel that sniper rifles are too useful at mid range. I think every single sniper scope in the game should zoom in a bit further than they currently do.

+1 sniper zoom

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 13:21 (3019 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 13:23 (3019 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

All that said, I do still feel that sniper rifles are too useful at mid range. I think every single sniper scope in the game should zoom in a bit further than they currently do.

SNIPERS SUCK! SHOTGUNS RULE!

SHOTGUNS ARE LESS FILLING! SNIPERS TASTE GREAT!

(I think Shotguns should be nerfed all to hell. And I say that as somone who's got almost 10x as many Crucible Sniper kills as Shotgun kills. Compared to, if DestinyTracker can be trusted, an almost 3:1 favoring of shotguns over snipers on your part. ;) )

'My favored weapons are fine, your's are OP'

by ProbablyLast, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 13:42 (3019 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 14:01 (3019 days ago) @ Claude Errera

(I think Shotguns should be nerfed all to hell. And I say that as somone who's got almost 10x as many Crucible Sniper kills as Shotgun kills. Compared to, if DestinyTracker can be trusted, an almost 3:1 favoring of shotguns over snipers on your part. ;) )

Lol, I'd be totally fine with shotguns being nerfed as well :)

I'm not a great sniper, so I rarely use them. I do my best to avoid engaging snipers at all unless I'm rushing them with a shotgun :)

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 14:34 (3019 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Lol, I'd be totally fine with shotguns being nerfed as well :)

I'm not a great sniper, so I rarely use them. I do my best to avoid engaging snipers at all unless I'm rushing them with a shotgun :)

I'm a totally useless shotgunner, so I try and stand back and snipe those jerks before they get close.

I think we both know what this means...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 14:48 (3019 days ago) @ Claude Errera

[image]

I'm still with Cap.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 14:49 (3019 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

Dammit...

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:03 (3019 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I wanted to be on Team Cap. :(

Dammit...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:07 (3019 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I wanted to be on Team Cap. :(

You will still be friends by the end and the fights won't matter. Don't worry.

Where the arguments are made up and the fights don't matter

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:25 (3019 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Just like the thongs section in the big and tall store, deodorant to a cab driver, Canada, the hat in an orgy, if the Backstreet Boys and N'Sync traded guys, and Bungie's latest changes to fusion rifles, they just don't matter.

Now onto our first game, this one's for everybody. It's scenes from a hat! Things you could say while playing video games but not to your wife.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:29 (3019 days ago) @ Funkmon

Now onto our first game, this one's for everybody. It's scenes from a hat! Things you could say while playing video games but not to your wife.

Who's down to kill the Daughters tonight?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:32 (3019 days ago) @ Funkmon

Just like the thongs section in the big and tall store, deodorant to a cab driver, Canada, the hat in an orgy, if the Backstreet Boys and N'Sync traded guys, and Bungie's latest changes to fusion rifles, they just don't matter.

I wanna grab the Gaze.

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:52 (3019 days ago) @ Korny

I wanna grab the Gaze.

Why's it so hard to capture the gaze when his back is turned?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:35 (3019 days ago) @ Funkmon

Let's do the sister's 3 times this week.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:38 (3019 days ago) @ unoudid

Let's do the sister's 3 times this week.

You should try out the Black Hammer!

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:36 (3019 days ago) @ Funkmon

I keep getting pounded by those titans.

"This isn't bright enough."

by ProbablyLast, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:59 (3019 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

They just blew their super thanks to my secret handshake

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 16:05 (3019 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

So many things. All of the things.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 16:22 (3019 days ago) @ Funkmon

I'm gonna blast you in your face!

Oh man, I just unloaded on three dudes at once!

There is now a grenade stuck to your head. (shit, I'm a gunslinger so I can't technically say this anymore in video games).

Stay there, I'm going to take this guy from behind.

Pin him down while I get more ammo.

This guy is really salty.

One down, two down, everyone is going down right now!

Aaaand he's dead. Time for a dance party!

I think we both know what this means...

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:43 (3019 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:47

Be a unifier. Run Both.

I only used this because it's a rare snipe for me. I just run Universal Remote all the time like a jerk.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 14:47 (3019 days ago) @ Claude Errera

And as someone with 10x as many fusion rifle kills as sniper / shotguns kills, I think all other specials should be made to shoot peas.

I literally have only 10 fewer kills with Fusions as I do with Hand Cannons, which is my most killed with weapon.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:06 (3019 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And as someone with 10x as many fusion rifle kills as sniper / shotguns kills, I think all other specials should be made to shoot peas.

I literally have only 10 fewer kills with Fusions as I do with Hand Cannons, which is my most killed with weapon.

lol - and I have 9 total fusion rifle kills in crucible (that's the sum of all three characters).

I could probably let them drop out of the game altogether and not care. :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:08 (3019 days ago) @ Claude Errera

lol - and I have 9 total fusion rifle kills in crucible (that's the sum of all three characters).

It's at the point now where I wouldn't even know what to do with a shotgun even if I had Felwinter's with Hammer forged and rangefinder.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:09 (3019 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's at the point now where I wouldn't even know what to do with a shotgun even if I had Felwinter's with Hammer forged and rangefinder.

You'd use it like a fusion rifle, because it would have just as much range ;)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:13 (3019 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:19

Makes me wish I had a Darkblade's Spite with a range upgrade. So jealous of Ottermack.

What would be easier, getting that, or a Vacancy with a range upgrade? That would actually be even better than my old Purifier. But like I want to grind FWC packages.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:16 (3019 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Makes me wish I had a Darkblade's Spite with a range upgrade. So jealous of Ottermack.

Dude, you need to buy the FWC vendor fusion rifle. It's the best one in the game, IMO. Charge time is a bit slow, but it'll kill from so far away it's worth it.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:20 (3019 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Dude, you need to buy the FWC vendor fusion rifle. It's the best one in the game, IMO. Charge time is a bit slow, but it'll kill from so far away it's worth it.

I have it. It rocks. It's my primary Fusion Rifle! But it has no range upgrade on it. If I could get a package with the Vacancy with a range upgrade I would just shred everything in sight. What's the fastest way to earn faction rep? That seems like the best overall fusion rifle possible.

No Range Upgrade!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:25 (3019 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Hmm. Looks like you can't even roll a range upgrade on the Vacancy. Darkblade with rifled barrel and underdog might be better overall.

Dream Roll: Rifled Barrel, Underdog, Rangefinder.

Gameplay footage:

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:21 (3019 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

And that is why you never use "Shatter" for the Nova Bomb...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:25 (3019 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:23 (3019 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Your stats made me venture over to Destiny Tracker to have a look at my dtats. On my hunter which is my main character for PvP my kills are as follows.

Top 3:
3313 Super Kills
3074 Sniper Kills
2169 Pulse Rifle Kills

Those stats are pretty telling on my use of primary vs special weapons. I'm typically a defensive play at range type of person (top 1% of DT at 24.92 m average). The amount of special ammo we have just allows stuff like this to happen.

My top 3

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 16:05 (3019 days ago) @ unoudid

Melee: 3672
Super: 2017
Fusion Rifle: 1714 - This must be left over from the days when Pocket Infinity was still good. They really need to increase the amount of reserve ammo this weapon holds compared to other fusion rifles or something. This is the one weapon that got destroyed by the special ammo nerfs. Maybe make it like SGA and return ammo to the reserve when you miss? That would make it a decent year 2/3 weapon.

After that it's a combo of pulse, auto, and scout rifles - all within about 100 kills of one another close to 1300 kills. Does anyone know if there is a way to restrict those stats to year 2 or something? I think it'd be really interesting to compare year 1 and year 2 stats.

Huh. Interesting.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 16:32 (3019 days ago) @ unoudid

I tend to use lots of the guns pretty evenly, it seems:

Super: 3115 kills
Pulse Rifle: 2978
Shotgun: 2884
Sniper: 2627
AutoRifle: 2615 (that's mostly from year 1 when my Shadow Price ruled the crucible with an iron fist)

Curiously, I have 380 kills with the relic. What's that? Is that from slammos in rift?

And I have only 28 kills with a sword, 94 with a side arm, and 333 with a fusion rifle.

Relic == Spark

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 16:46 (3018 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Relic == Spark

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 16:47 (3018 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

That's what I thought. Crazy that I have so many more kills with the spark than I do with fusion rifles.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 14:45 (3019 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It's also odd that you stay scoped while being hit. In Halo, being shot dropped you out of scope. Seems like that would really bring snipers down, so perhaps more shake while being shot could be a good halfway point.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 14:49 (3019 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's also odd that you stay scoped while being hit. In Halo, being shot dropped you out of scope. Seems like that would really bring snipers down, so perhaps more shake while being shot could be a good halfway point.

Perhaps there could be a perk to stay scoped? Hmm...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 14:51 (3019 days ago) @ dogcow

No. Because then nothing would be solved. Everyone you play against would prioritize that above every other perk on their sniper rifles... :(

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:03 (3019 days ago) @ Ragashingo

No. Because then nothing would be solved. Everyone you play against would prioritize that above every other perk on their sniper rifles... :(

But, it'd be at the expense of other perks, yes? I guess it's just make a new "god roll" and all others would be trash.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:08 (3019 days ago) @ dogcow

But, it'd be at the expense of other perks, yes? I guess it's just make a new "god roll" and all others would be trash.

Yes. See counterbalance.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:20 (3019 days ago) @ dogcow

Look down the threads. We have people farming Strikes something like a year later as they seek to get the perfect roll on a Pulse Rifle. The "don't unzoom" perk would just become the new Armor Pericing or Final Round, or whatever, ya know? If we want Snipers to actually be less effective something across the board that isn't simply rolled away need to be done.

Make all Snipers take two shots no matter what. Make all sniper damage normal damage unless fully zoomed in. Make a 1 second period between being shot while scoped and being able to do headshot damage. Make the sniper fire backwards into the user's eye socket if not scoped. Something like those that isn't just a perk everyone will avoid or seek after.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 13:31 (3019 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Right, and at close range AR vs Sniper is supposed to go AR, but guess what - it doesn't because Snipers are too easy to use at close range (if you're good with them). How about mid-range AR vs Shotgun? Oh right, that should go AR but it usually goes shotgun because of the ridiculous range on shotguns and lag. Unfortunately in the current meta primaries vs secondaries is not fair in the places where it should be in addition to the places it shouldn't be.

Personally, I think they need to change how some of the secondary weapons work. If you zoom a sniper while moving I think it should scope a bit more randomly requiring the player to adjust, I mean you don't zoom snipers while running in real life, why would you do that in Destiny? Or maybe you don't get to zoom a sniper unless you are standing still? I don't think they necessarily need to increase the frames it takes for a sniper to zoom, but they should encourage you to engage a sniper-level range somehow.

For shotguns, I think they need to increase the damage fall-off significantly. Increasing the range should only affect the grouping of the shotgun slugs so that you do more damage at range due to more slugs hitting, but with the damage fall-off keeping the range short.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 06:46 (3019 days ago) @ Kahzgul

You're not playing a different game at all. I'm not walking around being OHK'd by everything I see. That being said, I don't like that the current OHK capability of snipers and shotguns (and supers and rockets and fusion rifles) can still deliver ultimate punishment to you if you don't make a mistake. I can get the complete drop on a dude, but it takes so long for my primary to kill him that he can turn all the way around and shotgun my face. That simply shouldn't be possible. Now, it wouldn't be problematic if special ammo wasn't so scarce, but when you get into situations where you have no special, you're really screwed in this game right now. "secondary" weapons are everyone's go-to guns. They're not specific role weapons at all - they're playstyle defining, and they certainly aren't of secondary nature compared to primaries.

I find your example amazingly silly. If you're struggling to kill someone with a primary and are so close to them that they can turn around and shotgun you in the face, well... that's on you. Worse is you not wanting to be killed when you "don't make a mistake." If you died and there wasn't cheating or lag involved then more than likely you did make a mistake. It kinda feels like you think you're entitled to win in all situations.

CoD gets around this by making shotguns and snipers primary weapons as well, and restricting secondaries to anti-air or pistols, as well as by giving all guns a faster TTK so that one mistake on either side of a shootout is fatal.

But Destiny doesn't have this. You can land 4 shots with MIDA on a sniper and he can still OHK you even though you were lighting his world on fire. That's not something I can do, because I suck a sniping under duress, but it's been done to me plenty of times, often by snipers who weren't even facing me when I started firing. Similarly, the range on shotguns with god rolls is so large that it doesn't matter if you're backing up the whole time you're firing because they can still close the gap and OHK you. This dramatic power gap is the issue I have. The prevalence of OHKs in destiny is part of what makes destiny's pvp exciting and compelling. I'm not advocating removing them. You'll note I didn't suggest a single nerf to any weapon's ability to OHK. Rather, I want to see a lessening of the gap between primary 2+ second TTKs and secondary instant TTKs.

I'm a big fan of increasing the difficulty of sniping under fire, but if you land four shots with a MIDA Multi-Tool and your enemy is still alive then you missed. As you put it, your one mistake was fatal. I also hate the god roll shotguns, but you make it sound like it's always impossible to kill someone before they shotgun you. Obviously, that's not the case.

Then there's the situations you don't mention. Like when the Sniper misses multiple shots and dies without even damaging his target. Or where the shotgunner does fire outside of their one shot kill range and is finished off by a primary. Or they charge in only to be stuck by a grenade well beyond their optimal range. Comparing sloppy usage of primaries to perfect the usage of secondaries... and heavies... and Supers?! I like a lot of the ideas in the thread. Returning to the days of special and heavy ammo dropping from enemies under limited circumstances, for instance. But I also like the way Destiny currently plays for the most part and I don't find the arguments to boost primaries to be compelling.

My big worry is that under your plan every weapon will kill me in an instant no matter the range, instead of just some of them and only within limited ranges. Maybe some people would like that, but to me it would be absolute hell and force me out of PvP...

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 16:47 (3018 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I find your example amazingly silly. If you're struggling to kill someone with a primary and are so close to them that they can turn around and shotgun you in the face, well... that's on you. Worse is you not wanting to be killed when you "don't make a mistake." If you died and there wasn't cheating or lag involved then more than likely you did make a mistake. It kinda feels like you think you're entitled to win in all situations.

Why should it be a struggle though? I walk around a corner to see someone's back and in less time it would take me to melee them twice (because that's how close he is when I see him) he can turn around and shotgun me to death. Firing a primary is generally faster than the double melee, and even in that amount of time, he can turn and shotgun me to death. There shouldn't be a struggle there when you catch someone with their pants down. It should be three pulls of the trigger and you win. But because these guys can turn and kill you so quickly, you have to switch to a shotgun to guarantee that you get the kill. I understand how my one example can be taken to mean that I never get these kills. That's untrue. But I feel like it shouldn't even be a question, and certainly shouldn't be a 20-30% chance of the enemy getting the kill instead of me. Maybe the one amazing guy who can shadestep to the side and get me, or blink into the air or something, but doing a 180 and firing should not be faster than just firing.

Anyway, what's wrong with thinking that, if you full outmaneuver your opponent and catch them completely unawares, you should be able to easily get that kill? With a sniper or a shotgun, it's a kill 100% of the time. With a primary weapon, it's not, and that's because if they're using a sniper or shotgun they have a real chance of OHKing you even while already under fire. The gulf between primaries and secondaries is too big.

I'm a big fan of increasing the difficulty of sniping under fire, but if you land four shots with a MIDA Multi-Tool and your enemy is still alive then you missed. As you put it, your one mistake was fatal. I also hate the god roll shotguns, but you make it sound like it's always impossible to kill someone before they shotgun you. Obviously, that's not the case.

My impression was MIDA was a 5-shot kill? Change my example to 3 shots then. Don't get hung up on the symantecs: The point is that a sniper under fire from a primary is not under duress and can still OHK you at least 30% of the time.

Then there's the situations you don't mention. Like when the Sniper misses multiple shots and dies without even damaging his target. Or where the shotgunner does fire outside of their one shot kill range and is finished off by a primary. Or they charge in only to be stuck by a grenade well beyond their optimal range. Comparing sloppy usage of primaries to perfect the usage of secondaries... and heavies... and Supers?! I like a lot of the ideas in the thread. Returning to the days of special and heavy ammo dropping from enemies under limited circumstances, for instance. But I also like the way Destiny currently plays for the most part and I don't find the arguments to boost primaries to be compelling.

This is all irrelevant because I'm actually comparing good use of primaries to good use of secondaries. Not sloppy vs. good. Not sloppy vs. sloppy. Good vs. good. Two good players, one with primary and one with secondary, and almost any range, is a fight grossly in favor of the guy with secondary ammo.

My big worry is that under your plan every weapon will kill me in an instant no matter the range, instead of just some of them and only within limited ranges. Maybe some people would like that, but to me it would be absolute hell and force me out of PvP...

This makes sense to me, but you'll notice I'm not really suggesting changing damage values so much as I'm suggesting making secondaries a little more cumbersome to use (but easier to find ammo for), and rewarding people with primaries who kill people using secondaries or heavies. I'm not trying to turn the game into hardcore CoD, but rather to bring the game closer to the Y1 primary vs. secondary matchups instead of the current state.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 18:33 (3018 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Why should it be a struggle though? I walk around a corner to see someone's back and in less time it would take me to melee them twice (because that's how close he is when I see him) he can turn around and shotgun me to death. Firing a primary is generally faster than the double melee, and even in that amount of time, he can turn and shotgun me to death. There shouldn't be a struggle there when you catch someone with their pants down. It should be three pulls of the trigger and you win. But because these guys can turn and kill you so quickly, you have to switch to a shotgun to guarantee that you get the kill. I understand how my one example can be taken to mean that I never get these kills. That's untrue. But I feel like it shouldn't even be a question, and certainly shouldn't be a 20-30% chance of the enemy getting the kill instead of me. Maybe the one amazing guy who can shadestep to the side and get me, or blink into the air or something, but doing a 180 and firing should not be faster than just firing.

Anyway, what's wrong with thinking that, if you full outmaneuver your opponent and catch them completely unawares, you should be able to easily get that kill? With a sniper or a shotgun, it's a kill 100% of the time. With a primary weapon, it's not, and that's because if they're using a sniper or shotgun they have a real chance of OHKing you even while already under fire. The gulf between primaries and secondaries is too big.

You have Radar. Don't blunder up close to someone. A special weapon, especially one meant specifically for very short range SHOULD be a very significant threat at very short range. I get that it's only one example, but it's a bad example.

My impression was MIDA was a 5-shot kill? Change my example to 3 shots then. Don't get hung up on the symantecs: The point is that a sniper under fire from a primary is not under duress and can still OHK you at least 30% of the time.

I agree that focusing on a specific example isn't fair. But, Snipers should win 70+% of the time when used within their proper range. It's situation like the snapshot kills when I come around a blind corner and get headshot while in the Shoulder Charge animation that I would want to see eliminated first. Then more bounce to push Sniper Rifles back to long range and out of medium range.

This is all irrelevant because I'm actually comparing good use of primaries to good use of secondaries. Not sloppy vs. good. Not sloppy vs. sloppy. Good vs. good. Two good players, one with primary and one with secondary, and almost any range, is a fight grossly in favor of the guy with secondary ammo.

Part of the game is playing the ranges and angles. Blunder into the back of a guy with a shotgun? You deserve to die. Poke your head out into a sniper lane? Chances are you will die. I categorically disagree that a good player using a primary is always at a gross disadvantage. At certain ranges he is and should be. But it's his job to try and not be in those ranges... Or to use his own special when he is.

This makes sense to me, but you'll notice I'm not really suggesting changing damage values so much as I'm suggesting making secondaries a little more cumbersome to use (but easier to find ammo for), and rewarding people with primaries who kill people using secondaries or heavies. I'm not trying to turn the game into hardcore CoD, but rather to bring the game closer to the Y1 primary vs. secondary matchups instead of the current state.

I agree with those two things. More special ammo. Harder to use specials. But I also don't think the problem is a huge as some are making it out to be.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 20:07 (3018 days ago) @ Ragashingo

You have Radar. Don't blunder up close to someone. A special weapon, especially one meant specifically for very short range SHOULD be a very significant threat at very short range. I get that it's only one example, but it's a bad example.

I agree that focusing on a specific example isn't fair. But, Snipers should win 70+% of the time when used within their proper range. It's situation like the snapshot kills when I come around a blind corner and get headshot while in the Shoulder Charge animation that I would want to see eliminated first. Then more bounce to push Sniper Rifles back to long range and out of medium range.

Part of the game is playing the ranges and angles. Blunder into the back of a guy with a shotgun? You deserve to die. Poke your head out into a sniper lane? Chances are you will die. I categorically disagree that a good player using a primary is always at a gross disadvantage. At certain ranges he is and should be. But it's his job to try and not be in those ranges... Or to use his own special when he is.

This really sounds like your whole argument to this point sounds like "well this scenario is clearly an idiot playing." Let's assume the player in question is not an idiot and is pretty good at the game; they just don't happen to have any special ammo at this exact moment. They have made the best of it and outmaneuvered an enemy player, catching them looking the wrong way.

If you're saying it's dumb to trick a shotgunner into facing left and only for you to attack him from the right, well, that should not be dumb. That is a tactical play which I would like to see rewarded more often. A good player with good positioning catching another good player off guard with poor positioning should win the 1v1, regardless of whether they're using a primary or special weapon. A great player should still be able to get away or turn the tables, but good v. good in that situation shouldn't be a question.

regardless of how it should be, if you don't have special ammo and your enemy does, *what do you do to fight back?* Do you just switch to invective or icebreaker because that's how broken the disparity between primary and special weapons is? Do you run away and hope your super or grenade comes back up before the other team finds you, again because you know primary weapons suck ballsack compared to special weapons? My point is that the disparity should not be so big that the best strategy is never to engage, even when you have the drop on the enemy. Right now, I'd say about 25% of the time I get the drop on someone they still kill me if they have secondary and I have primary. I feel like that number is too high. I think they should maybe be able to escape 25% of the time, but not fully turn the tables with a OHK.

On the flip side, I should not be able to just stand there with impunity when i have a sniper rifle with ammunition. I should have to worry about my flanks and my backside and other avenues of approach, even when I know the enemy is out of special ammo. But right now I don't have to. They can't kill me with primary ammo before I can either kill them or escape.

I agree with those two things. More special ammo. Harder to use specials. But I also don't think the problem is a huge as some are making it out to be.

It's a bigger problem now than it was during year 1. It's also big enough that I notice it when I play and I think there's room for improvement. It's not game breaking, but it is frustrating.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 21:21 (3018 days ago) @ Kahzgul

If you're saying it's dumb to trick a shotgunner into facing left and only for you to attack him from the right, well, that should not be dumb. That is a tactical play which I would like to see rewarded more often. A good player with good positioning catching another good player off guard with poor positioning should win the 1v1, regardless of whether they're using a primary or special weapon. A great player should still be able to get away or turn the tables, but good v. good in that situation shouldn't be a question.

I understand that you'd like to be able to kill an unaware opponent with primary before they can turn around and shotgun you - but why limit yourself to one way of killing, and then complain about that?

If I come around a corner and see someone's back, maybe I'll stick them and turn around. Maybe I'll take two shots with my primary as I run to them for a punch to finish the job. There are plenty of options that DON'T require me to go straight up primary vs secondary... and that's good, because primary SHOULDN'T beat secondary, unless 1) you're good, 2) they're bad, or 3) you're lucky.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 01:11 (3018 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I understand that you'd like to be able to kill an unaware opponent with primary before they can turn around and shotgun you - but why limit yourself to one way of killing, and then complain about that?

The point. The ENTIRE point. Is that catching someone totally unawares, even if all of your special and heavy ammo is gone, and your melee and grenade are both on cooldown, should STILL be enough of an opportunity to get a kill that the smart play is to go for the kill and not to say "fuck it" and run away whenever your skills are on cooldown and you don't have special ammo. The game should be designed in such a way that the optimal way to play PvP is for full health characters to seek out combat rather than flee from it.

If I come around a corner and see someone's back, maybe I'll stick them and turn around. Maybe I'll take two shots with my primary as I run to them for a punch to finish the job. There are plenty of options that DON'T require me to go straight up primary vs secondary... and that's good, because primary SHOULDN'T beat secondary, unless 1) you're good, 2) they're bad, or 3) you're lucky.

You can't stick when your grenade is on cooldown

If you take two shots with primary and run up to melee you're dead by shotgun 25% of the time in my scenario.

I agree that primary shouldn't beat secondary if both players are facing each other at the same time with similar skill levels, but in my experience (and I am a very experienced player), primary still loses to secondary about 25% of the time in circumstances where I believe it should always beat secondary. Namely when the enemy is facing the complete wrong direction.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 18:26 (3017 days ago) @ Kahzgul

The problem here is that your argument is that you have out maneuvered them, but you are still using a primary in shotgun range. Which means no, you didn't. It is an option not to engage the target. Or to wait for hem to get a little farther away or to backpedal as you engage. Your example is an example of blundering into a combat situation you are not positioned for.

By design you are supposed to have time to react to being engaged, unless it is by overwhelming force. And you should lost to a special weapon when you are within their optimum effective range band.

I'm totally for making special weapons more skill based, but for a shotgun it's all movement and positioning. And if turning around is all it takes to have the upper hand...

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 18:45 (3017 days ago) @ Harmanimus

The problem here is that your argument is that you have out maneuvered them, but you are still using a primary in shotgun range. Which means no, you didn't. It is an option not to engage the target. Or to wait for hem to get a little farther away or to backpedal as you engage. Your example is an example of blundering into a combat situation you are not positioned for.

By design you are supposed to have time to react to being engaged, unless it is by overwhelming force. And you should lost to a special weapon when you are within their optimum effective range band.

I'm totally for making special weapons more skill based, but for a shotgun it's all movement and positioning. And if turning around is all it takes to have the upper hand...

No, no. I'm specifically trying to use an example where you're not in shotgun OHK range. The shotgunner is still able to turn and close the gap and kill you all before you get him with your hand cannon. Or the sniper is able to turn and headshot you even though you're really close to him. The point is that being outside "optimal" special weapon range is not always enough to actually prevent being killed by them, even when you have the element of surprise on your side.

Maybe making backpedaling while ADSing faster would be enough to solve the issue as far as shotguns go, but it wouldn't resolve snipers.

Anyway, it's not all the time that this happens, just a sizeable percentage (in my experience, around 25% of the time, which I find unacceptably high). I think that it's just illustrative of the power gap between primary and secondary weapons, and I think the "fix" that bungie made to limit secondary ammo is a poor fix which has created more problems than it solved while simultaneously making crucible less fun to play and less competitive once one team establishes secondary ammo control on a map.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 22:09 (3018 days ago) @ Kahzgul

This really sounds like your whole argument to this point sounds like "well this scenario is clearly an idiot playing." Let's assume the player in question is not an idiot and is pretty good at the game; they just don't happen to have any special ammo at this exact moment. They have made the best of it and outmaneuvered an enemy player, catching them looking the wrong way.

I don't believe the weapon balance is anywhere near as broken as you do. Do I think there problems? Sure. Sucks ballsack level problems? Absolutely not. Because of this, I'm unable to agree that someone who attempts to fight within shotgun range when they have no special ammo has outmaneuvered their enemy. They may be a good player, but in that encounter they made a serious tactical mistake and rightly paid the price for it. (Happens to me all the time!)

...if you don't have special ammo and your enemy does, *what do you do to fight back?* ...Do you run away and hope your super or grenade comes back up before the other team finds you...

Absolutely! I'm at the top of my games and the Crucible is far less frustrating for me when I allow myself to disengage from unfavorable encounters.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 01:12 (3018 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I don't believe the weapon balance is anywhere near as broken as you do. Do I think there problems? Sure. Sucks ballsack level problems? Absolutely not. Because of this, I'm unable to agree that someone who attempts to fight within shotgun range when they have no special ammo has outmaneuvered their enemy. They may be a good player, but in that encounter they made a serious tactical mistake and rightly paid the price for it. (Happens to me all the time!)

...if you don't have special ammo and your enemy does, *what do you do to fight back?* ...Do you run away and hope your super or grenade comes back up before the other team finds you...

Absolutely! I'm at the top of my games and the Crucible is far less frustrating for me when I allow myself to disengage from unfavorable encounters.

An enemy with his back to you should never be an unfavorable encounter.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 03:38 (3018 days ago) @ Kahzgul

What if the enemy

- Has a sword and uses it to attack behind them?
- Is in the middle of Arc Blade, or uses the area of effect of Hammer of Sol, Nova Bomb, or Fist of Havoc, or the chaining of Stormtrance to strike behind them?

Just being behind someone does not guarantee that you will win.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 15:37 (3018 days ago) @ Ragashingo

What if the enemy

- Is in the middle of Arc Blade, or uses the area of effect of Hammer of Sol, Nova Bomb, or Fist of Havoc, or the chaining of Stormtrance to strike behind them?

Okay, I'll grant those two, but again you seem to be really going out of your way to ignore the point I'm trying to make. Here is my more semantically accurate statement:

An enemy without heavy ammo or an active super with his back to you who is also inside the optimal zone of engagement for your primary weapon should never be an unfavorable encounter for you, even if he has special ammo, assuming that you are both of equal skill and have full health and shields with no other players in a position to intervene in the 1v1 engagement which you are initiating, even when your own grenade and melee ability are on cooldown, you have no super, and your only available weapon is a primary weapon (which is, itself, one of the top tier primaries and not some crap green you equipped because your name is Ragashingo and you're intentionally sabotaging the discussion).

I hope that covers it.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 15:46 (3018 days ago) @ Kahzgul

What if the enemy

Okay, I'll grant those two, but again you seem to be really going out of your way to ignore the point I'm trying to make. Here is my more semantically accurate statement:

An enemy without heavy ammo or an active super with his back to you who is also inside the optimal zone of engagement for your primary weapon should never be an unfavorable encounter for you, even if he has special ammo, assuming that you are both of equal skill and have full health and shields with no other players in a position to intervene in the 1v1 engagement which you are initiating, even when your own grenade and melee ability are on cooldown, you have no super, and your only available weapon is a primary weapon (which is, itself, one of the top tier primaries and not some crap green you equipped because your name is Ragashingo and you're intentionally sabotaging the discussion).

I hope that covers it.

lol - I'll concede that in those circumstances, reality (as Bungie has defined it) is not as good as it should be.

And for the 2 encounters a month I experience where all of those conditions are met, I'll tip my hat to Kahzgul and shout "dammit, Bungie, I should have won that!"

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 18:40 (3017 days ago) @ Claude Errera

What if the enemy

I hope that covers it.

lol - I'll concede that in those circumstances, reality (as Bungie has defined it) is not as good as it should be.

And for the 2 encounters a month I experience where all of those conditions are met, I'll tip my hat to Kahzgul and shout "dammit, Bungie, I should have won that!"

:D

I'm also trying to be really clear than 75% of the time I do win these encounters, but that 25% failure rate feels far too high for me.

by squidnh3, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 01:04 (3020 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Cruel and Cody got into an interesting discussion in the "it's not over" thread, and rather than trying to show up late to that party and also attempt to derail the conversation, I figured this deserved its own topic.

PvP weapon balance. This is a beast with two heads right now. On the one hand, the weapon balance since the last patch is the best it's ever been. Most primaries are about the same as most other primaries. Most secondaries are about the same as most other secondaries. And most heavies are about the same as most other heavies. On the other hand, the balance is frustratingly awful. Primary weapons are outclassed at every turn by secondary weapons.

Good idea, I've been meaning to post my thoughts about this as well, which seem to diverge somewhat from everyone else's.

I think we are overcomplicating this. Weapon balance within each class may be good, but the current state of PvP is considerably less fun than it was in Year 1. As you point out, the main reason for this is the general nerfing of primary weapons.

However, I think the reason that primary weapons are worse now is not so much that they aren't as powerful, but that they aren't as versatile. Bungie has espoused a new philosophy that each primary weapon type should fall into a range class, and not be very effective outside of it. Trying to make primary weapons fall into these niches over the past year has steadily increased the relative power of special weapons, as well as continually exposed new "overpowered" primaries, like MIDA and Doctrine. What these "overpowered" weapons have in common is that they are versatile and usable at a variety of ranges, allowing them to counter both snipers and shotguns.

Bungie has tried to counter this by limited special ammo, which only accentuates the overpowered specials, causing an entire new problem. The logical result of this is that we are playing mostly with frustratingly underpowered, homogeneous primaries, camping around waiting for special ammo to respawn - in other words, Halo, and there's another game that does that just fine.

What was wonderful about Y1 Destiny was the pace and rhythm. Kill times were fast, but not so twitchy that tactics weren't important. Guns felt powerful, and you got to use them much more often. That's what I'd like to see Bungie return to, and I think the best way to do it is to reverse the pigeonholing of primary weapons. Make every primary effective at mid-range (which I would describe as the distance between the outside Heavies and the T-junction on Shores of Time). Virtually all engagements in Destiny happen at mid-range. Maybe make certain archetypes within primary weapons skewed toward short or mid-range (probably mostly Scout or ARs). Let people decide what primaries to use based on feel, not range requirements. I think those philosophies would go a long way towards making PvP was fun as it was in Year 1.

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 05:33 (3020 days ago) @ squidnh3

I fully agree. If primary weapons were more generally suited across the board, you'd be able to select them based on feel rather than simply because it complemented your secondary weapon well. While I don't mind a little strategy in loadout selection, the current meta is limiting. I think adding your suggestion of making primaries more generally suited would help push the meta back towards primarily using primary weapons, and using secondaries as role-specific guns.

Your numbers are off by quite a bit.

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 01:07 (3020 days ago) @ Kahzgul
edited by electricpirate, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 01:49

And here's the issue: To make primaries balanced, Bungie has steadily nerfed the best performing weapons to bring them more in line with the worst performing ones. This means that your average TTK with primary weapons is in the 2-3 second range, which is an eternity. I know some guns are theoretically a 1.33 TTK, but that's a fantasyland that only Luminosity and RealKrafty will actually be able to visit. For the rest of us mere mortals, TTK is higher.

1.333 second optimum ttk would be far and away the worst TTK in the game. The only thing that's remotely near that slow are Medium ROF pulses. DOP is .86 seconds, Mida is .9, Hawksaw is 1. 3 shot bursts.

Optimum TTKs are almost all sub second, average TTKs probably about 1 to 1.5 seconds. 1 Second is a lot of time to keep a sniper from getting a bead or to stop a rushing shotgunner.

Here's a full TTK breakdown: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L7FV9l4hXo2tHD3XlFUp854XvJIwTKFIPvASLduPPS4/edit#gid=0

I think to underscore how far off base the TTK discussion about weapons gets, Mid ROF autos are considered garbage, while fast ROF are considered part of the Meta. The difference in TTK? 4/100s of a second.

I will say though I entirely agree with this sentiment:

- First, ADS aiming needs to be fixed. The camera bounce should exactly match the bloom pattern of hipfire, and all bullets should always go where the reticle is pointed. There should be no hidden bloom effect that could possibly result in "phantom" bullets. All shot adjustment should be visibly communicated in the camera and reticle bounce while ADS.

Your numbers are off by quite a bit.

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 05:44 (3020 days ago) @ electricpirate

1.333 second optimum ttk would be far and away the worst TTK in the game. The only thing that's remotely near that slow are Medium ROF pulses. DOP is .86 seconds, Mida is .9, Hawksaw is 1. 3 shot bursts.

Optimum TTKs are almost all sub second, average TTKs probably about 1 to 1.5 seconds. 1 Second is a lot of time to keep a sniper from getting a bead or to stop a rushing shotgunner.

Here's a full TTK breakdown: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L7FV9l4hXo2tHD3XlFUp854XvJIwTKFIPvASLduPPS4/edit#gid=0

I think to underscore how far off base the TTK discussion about weapons gets, Mid ROF autos are considered garbage, while fast ROF are considered part of the Meta. The difference in TTK? 4/100s of a second.

I will say though I entirely agree with this sentiment:

My mistake. I've read the TTK docs, but clearly remembered them incorrectly.

Even so, I think my point about fantasyland is valid. Most of us will never be in situations where those TTKs come to pass, whereas we've all had a one shot, one kill snipe or shotgun moment (or 12. Per game). For example, my shiny new Lyudmila-D is capable of a 2-burst kill (0.64 sec TTK?). However, at the range I need to be at in order to land those shots, totally ignoring the fact that I have to perfectly time my trigger pulls to attain perfect RoF, I've eaten a shotgun blast before the third round left my gun. So the practical TTK is a three-burst or four-burst kill, depending on range. So what reason does destiny give us to use our primary weapons instead of secondary ones? The worst possible reason: Because we don't have any ammo for the gun we'd rather be using.

As yourself: If you had unlimited ammo, but could pick only one primary or secondary weapon, which would you choose? For me it would be a shotgun, hands down. Sniper would be my second choice. Then I'd consider a pulse rifle. That's backwards and broken, when the "role specific" weapons are more generally useful than their primary counterparts. Ironically, primaries appear to be more role specific than the secondaries these days.

Suggestions

by Durandal, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 14:21 (3020 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Shotguns: Range/Impact are king, recoil, ready times are irrelevant.

To fix: Lock all shotguns to the same range stat. Widen the pellet cone. The primary differentiation should be the damage per shot, spread, and rate of fire. High Rof shotguns should have lower impact, but are more forgiving of a miss or partial hit. Players could focus on perks that narrow the pellet cone, making a hit more lethal, or increasing rate of fire to pump out more hits more quickly. Now recoil matters and recoil perks make more sense.

Sniper Rifles: Aim assist/impact is king. People want the headshots and the super shutdown from these long range guns. Bungie has addressed this somewhat with the scope in time increase and the change to res shields.

The fix: Bungie should add inaccuracy while moving while scoped or partially scoped. Quick scopes are what make snipers so appealing outside their long range role.

Fusion Rifles: Range/stability/impact are key.

the fix: I wouldn't change much about fusions right now, they seem to be in a good place for the most part, although I would bump the range a little on the fast charging ones since they seem a little weak compared to the high impact.

Special vs. Primary:

Special should always be better in their range band, but poor outside of it. A shotgun user should win close in, a fusion should win at range, a sniper at long range. What you should not have is a shotgun beating a primary at mid range, or a sniper outshooting a hand cannon close in.

People should use their primary in it's range band, and their special in the appropriate range band. Combat is a balance of close/fire/disengage. Do you dual another player with your scout, or try to move in closer? Do you stand off and switch when an enemy gets close?

Such a setup drives movement and strategic engagement. You can have a TLW and Sniper, but someone should be able to move mid range and have the advantage over you. This has not been the case for much of the game, since early on movement meant you could quickly close the gap, and after the frequent blink nerfs, now range is key. Fusion rifles are held back because primaries still have competitive TTK with the charge time at mid range.

Suggestions

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 17:00 (3019 days ago) @ Durandal

I like all of these suggestions. I'm not 100% on locking down stats permanently, but I think any long range shotgun needs to be a 2-shot kill, even with headshots.

Skill = TTK

by Durandal, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 13:19 (3019 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I would like to see a less abrupt damage fall off. I hated the fact that the halo shotgun was so sensitive to range that one foot less would take you from a sure kill to zero.

You can still make weapons superior in their range bands and allow longer range hits. As long as the TTK climbs when you are out of your range band to past the body shot hit TTK of a weapon in your range band you should be fine.

Shotguns taking 2 hits at range or more shouldn't be an issue.

Skill = TTK

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 16:35 (3019 days ago) @ Durandal

I would like to see a less abrupt damage fall off. I hated the fact that the halo shotgun was so sensitive to range that one foot less would take you from a sure kill to zero.

You can still make weapons superior in their range bands and allow longer range hits. As long as the TTK climbs when you are out of your range band to past the body shot hit TTK of a weapon in your range band you should be fine.

Shotguns taking 2 hits at range or more shouldn't be an issue.

I agree. It's so frustrating to be just out of lethal shotgun range and see the total damage be 10% of what you'd do a few pixels closer.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread