2001 Q&A

by bluerunner @, Music City, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 11:00 (3917 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I'm with everyone else that says this piece was too short. I'm dying to hear what he has to say about Destiny. I did enjoy going back and reading his 2001 Q&A linked in the article, especially this part:

At what point in the development process was it decided it was not possible to create the truly "seamless" world as originally announced? Would that have required at least some computer-generated terrain, and if so was such ever coded or used in Halo at any stage?

We had code running, back in Chicago, that spooled in and out geometry as you traversed an enormous world (an archipelago created during an ancient asteroid strike, back when the fortress worlds were planets and not rings), but our ideas changed. We wanted more fighting and less wandering. Action, not exploration. That giant world was sure cool, but it was more appropriate for an RPG game, which is not, in the end, what we decided to create.

First off, exporation was one of the biggest draws to Halo, even if they focused on action. Secondly, the "seamless" world they were dreaming of will finally come to life in Destiny. I'm thinking there's a lot in Destiny that he wanted to do back in the early part of Halo's development. I wonder how many early Halo ideas will finally appear in Destiny.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread