This game is AWESOME!!! :D (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, August 21, 2016, 17:57 (2808 days ago) @ ZackDark

Finally managed to put about an hour into the tech test on PS4. I have no idea what people are complaining about! This game seems to do everything the first game did, with some smart/fun tweaks to the old formula. Titan and Pilot combat are both just as much fun as I remember.

There are some obvious weaknesses to this release; matches are not always fully populated, there are some minor balance issues that need tweaking. But overall, the game feels rock solid and loads of fun.

I recorded a couple cool clips:

Titan Crush:

Titan Battle:

One flaw with the PS4 version:

As I said, I've been playing the Tech Test on PS4. There is 1 clear shortcoming to this version of the game: the DualShock 4 controller. Now I'm a HUGE fan of the DS4. I think it is the best controller ever made, with the possible exception of the Xbox One Elite (I think the DS4 still has certain advantages over the Elite). But there is 1 substantial drawback to using this controller to play Titanfall.
The placement of Sony's D-Pad is something that lots of people complain about. It is usually just an issue of comfort. But in Titanfall, it causes actual gameplay issues.

In Titanfall, you call down your Titan by pressing "Down" on the D-Pad. On the Xbox One, the D-Pad is placed in between both thumbs; closer to the left thumb, but still within reach of the right thumb. This means you can keep your left thumb on the left stick and use your right thumb to hit the D-pad. In other words, you can call down your Titan mid-sprint. This means, on Xbox, you can do stuff like this:

On PS4, because of the placement of the D-pad, there really is no convenient way to reach it without taking your left thumb off the left stick. This means that any time you want to call down a Titan, you need to stop moving, making moves like the video above impossible.

This is far from a game-breaking issue. PS4 players should still have loads of fun with the game. But if anyone has both platforms and is on the fence between the two versions, I would certainly consider this a tie-breaker. Personally, I'm going to pick up both versions of the game :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread